Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riotkitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 05:34 AM
    Brand new hot water heater but water turns cold
    We've been having a similar problem. We're renting and the maintenance guy seems to have no idea how to fix it so he just gave us a brand new hot water heater, but the problem hasn't gone away. The water is only hot for about 1 minute and then turns cold. Do you think this is also related to the dip tube?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 7, 2012, 06:41 AM
    Do you think this is also related to the dip tube?
    It sure sounds like it. What I think has happened is the installer failed to come out of the heater with 3/4 X 4" brass nipples. Instead he soldered adapters directly on the heater inlets melting the plastic flange on the dip tube allowing it to fall into the tank. This will allow you to get hot water on the first draw. However, as you draw out the hot water cold water enters and instead if being directed to the bottom by the dip tube it remains on top where it cools the hot water down and you get only cold. The solution would be to install a new dip tube and this time use brass nipples. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 09:43 AM
    Riotkitty, if the dip tube doesn't turn out to be the issue, have the maintenance guys check for a CROSS CONNECTION or a failed mixing valve in your unit. This could cause similar issues as you present, OK?

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 7, 2012, 12:14 PM
    After reviewing the OP's post I realized that This was a problem the maintenance guy couldn't figure so he threw a "Hail Mary Pass" and installed a new heater. While a faulty dip tube would give you the same results I believe Marks answer is right on the mark. (No pun intended) Mark, you're the best. Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 03:26 PM
    I've run into this a number of times... actually replaced a heater myself that didn't need to be replaced... *UGH* Luckily the heater was 13 years old and the homeowner was very nice about it all once I found the mixing valve that was the issue and I reduced the installation price a bit!

Thanks Tom!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in hot water heater won't heat. Cold water inlet won't turn off. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater built in 2007. The cold water supply won't turn off. Flushed the unit, burner and pilot fine. Called company (AO Smith) and they said I have a leak somewhere. However, the water meter is not turning. My question is where is the water from the tank going? I do not see...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water goes cold after few hours with brand new water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hair salon. I started running into the issue of water going cold after few hour in a day. Thewater heater was 50 gallon and about 7 years old. I just boughtba brand new heater 80 gallon whirpool . In am running into the same. Issue. I had the plumberb here 4 times finally he added...

View more questions Search