Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mshelen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 05:03 PM
    House overheating, is it the furnace or the thermostat
    Came home to our house at 88 f with the thermostat set at 66! This happened yesterday as well but thought it was a one off, I was thinking it got stuck or something. I turned the furnace on over night ( once we cooled the house down) and when I left at lunch time it was running just fine.
    What do you think, is it the thermostat or the furnace?

Melting in Ontario,
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 07:24 PM
    At this point we can not tell. You ned to ride shotgun and be in the home when it starts to overheat. When that happens disconnect the stat and see if the heat keeps rising, the most likely condition is a bad stat. can you tell us brand and model?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP house furnace thermostat? [ 4 Answers ]

My furnace will come on with heat SOMETIMES and sometimes it WILL NOT? If I turn thermostat Down and then Up... it come on. Works for a few hours and then may or may not come back on? This is Thermostate problem or Furnace problem? Anything I can check? Thanks,

Gibson gas furnace is occasionally keeping house warmed to thermostat temperature [ 1 Answers ]

New thermostat in the last month and the furnace keeps up the same problem, air conditioner works fine, have to set thermostat around 75-80 to keep house around 70.

Overheating Honda Civic with new thermostat and cold air [ 1 Answers ]

OK, so in the last 2 weeks, I've replaced the thermostat and the head gaskets in my 2003 Honda Civic. And with less than 100 miles since repairs, it's still overheating and blowing cold air out intermittently when heater is on. When I got it towed, there was a puddle of liquid on ground by...

Running a wood furnace blower through a thermostat inside the house? [ 3 Answers ]

For US wood furnace/Model: 1557M

Add on coal/wood furnace thermostat wiring for 2 zone house with oil furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a Harman wood / coal furnace model SF-2500 (forced hot air system) and am tying into my existing forced hot air oil furnace 2 zone system and do not know how to tie into the existing thermostats and zones. I wish to still use the 2 separate zones for the bedrooms and the main body of...

View more questions Search