Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toothfairycw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 10:24 PM
    Filled up both tubs using warm water and water is light brown, in kithchen sink too
    'Filled up both tubs using warm water and water is a light brown color. Also filled up sink in kitchen and same thing. Haven't noticed it in showering.. Opened door to hot water heater and did not see any leaks. Should I call a plumber. Don't know first thing about hot water heaters. It is 14 years old
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 6, 2012, 06:24 AM
    Is the water brown on both hot and cold or just hot? Have you ever flushed your heater. I can show you how. Just let me know. Back to you, Tom
    toothfairycw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 11:36 AM
    Its brown only when the hot water is turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Is the water brown on both hot and cold or just hot? Have you ever flushed your heater. I can show you how. Just let me know. Back to you, Tom
    It has never been serviced.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 6, 2012, 01:49 PM
    Your heater's loaded with iron oxide,(rust) and must be flushed out,

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by FLUSHING NOT DRAINING on a regular schedule.

Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes.

Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back together the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my answer,

Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 05:06 PM
    If after flushing the water heater the problem returns and you are on CITY/TOWN water then I'd suggest that the anode rod is shot and has allowed the tappings/tank itself to become exposed to the water in the tank. In this case, the tank is probably shot and on its way out and will need to be replaced!

Try the flush first, see if the problem returns!

Good luck!

Mark

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brown water? Had a cold water pipe crack under sink on 3rd floor bathroom. [ 0 Answers ]

This water ran for days & was undetected until it was coming out the side of the building. Water ran through carpet, carpet pad, subfloor, insulation, carrying cat & dog urine residue & fecal material with it then through another floor,with carpet, pad, etc. To the bottom floor. With at least 12...

Dishwasher is filled with dirty water from sink [ 1 Answers ]

I've had a plumber to my house twice to fix these issues respectively: kitchen sink stopped up, then bathtub stopped up, now dishwasher filled with dirty water. Dishwasher was the original problem (standing water in basin) long ago. Problems have been temporarily fixed by plumber until now....

I have only luke warm water coming through my hot bath tap and sink tap [ 0 Answers ]

Hello I am suddenly only getting luke warm water coming through the hot taps in my bathroom. All other rooms are fine. I have a bungalow with two bathrooms a kitchen and a utility room. The system is run off a LPG combi boiler.

Only warm water from bathroom sink taps but hot water from bath tub tap [ 0 Answers ]

I get hot water from kitchen sink tap and from bath tub tap but only warm water from sink taps in both bathrooms.If I turn on the bath tub tap the warm water at sink taps will get hot but only if I turn on the bath tub hot water tap.The only change that I made was to move the water heater from the...

Warm water from cold sink faucets after taking a shower [ 1 Answers ]

We recently had our main bathroom remodeled completely from 1970's blue to tile and granite update. The entire plumbing was redirected from the basement due to old plumbing on the outside walls and freezing. We use Dantz fixtures with a temperature control and diverters in the tub and shower. ...

View more questions Search