Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leti1980 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Nov 5, 2012, 04:44 PM
    Sewing machines for beginers
    Hi all
    I would like to start to learn to sew making dolls dresses and girls clothes etc and am thinking of buying a sewing machine but what kind should I get for a real beginner?
    I don't want and can't spend a lot though just in case I hate it!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Walmart has sewing machines for beginners (not a child's sewing machine, but a real machine) for less than $200, a few are less than $100. They're not top of the line, but they do the job, and are perfect for a beginner.
    baggy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 10:33 PM
    I favor heavy metal machines of the last century, from the fifties on. The Japanese machines from the 50s 60s into the 70s tend to be real workhorses. They come under a hundred different names. Singers went with plastic innards by 1970; not durable, but the earlier metal ones are great. Some 80s Kenmores from Taiwan have a 25 year guarantee sticker on the back; they are great machines.

The inexpensive machines at department stores and even JoAnns, made in China and Thailand, and are of questionable quality. A big thread snarl can throw them out of time.

It's hard to make a choice when you don't know anything about it -- do you know anybody who sews? Maybe you could borrow a machine, or get basic instructions so you could test drive an older machine. Maybe a seller in the classifieds or similar could help you a bit with the machine you'd be buying. Maybe you could contact a local Senior Citizens center, see if someone would be willing to work with you. Thrift stores often have inexpensive older sewing machines, though they're sold as is.

Hope you find something worth your time.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
    Sears usually has a sewing machine for under $100 between now and Christmas. It's not fancy, but it is a good machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

old sewing machines value [ 0 Answers ]

I have an 1884 singer sewing machine. Complete and still working. Can you tell me the value?

Sewing machines [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone I love to sew. But I was wondering what are some good and cheap brands of sewing machines to make clothing. p.s. I would mostly be making, pj pants,tops,jeans, etc.

Sewing machines [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am from sask canada and would like to know what a raymond sewing machine and cabinet is worth. The machine is a treadle pat 228 1879 Ted

Sewing machines [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I have recently required a singer sewig machine from the singer manufacturing co. I have been unable to find out what yea it was buit in. The number which is on the gold round plate is s888 363. Howeer I am unsure whether this is the serial nuber. I have looked on the interent and the...

Sewing machines [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: I recently acquired a sewing machine that I would like to find more info on and when I look it up on the net, I cannot find a thing. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. The name on it is: The State Sewing Machine Co and it has a serial # of: 0015656. It has...

View more questions Search