Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmk226 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Nj resident bought ny home
    I live in nj but I but I bought a home in ny state for my sister and her family. She pays me rent. Less then the mortgage. I do not live in the home and did not live in the house for even one day in 2006. I work in nyc and rent in nj. I am not considered a ny resident am I?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 07:51 PM
    No you are a landlord there, you own a rental house there. At a lost which could be a tax issue, since you are not in the rental business to make a profit, so it could effect the tax deductions since it is not really a business.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Rental properties almost ALWAYS show a paper loss due to the depreciation deduction. However, if the rent you charge at least approximates what is fair market value for the house, you should have no problem tax-wise.

You WILL need to file a NY state tax return, as well as one for NJ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax status of child living away in home country of resident allien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1-B status since May 2005. And My wife has been on H1-B Status since June 2005. We both on H1-B status for the complete year 2006. We are bringing our daughter to USA for the first time this end of April or First week of May on My H4 dependent VISA. Is there any IRS rule...

Tax status about child living away in home country of resident allien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Me and My wife are from India and both of us working in USA on H1B visa status. We have a 7 year old daughter who is staying with her grand parents in India and studying There. We send money to her grand parents for all her expenses. Now we are decided to Bring our daughter this end of...

Nursing Home Resident needs help [ 12 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I hope you all can help me. I'm a nursing home administrator in Texas. One of my residents was recently turned down by Medicaid because his bank statements showed he had, at one point in the near past, too much money in his bank account. When I researched the issue, I found...

Bought the car need advice ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I bought my 93 civic 100k mile The dealer did not offer free 3 month warranty I want to have more knowledge for maintaince, Any one could giveme advice? Thankd

View more questions Search