Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 07:53 AM
    Diarrhea
    ARRRRGH! I hate when I lose an entire post because I click the wrong button!

Shorter version, then:

Lan has diarrhea. Yesterday was watery, but today it's just runnier than usual. No fever. He is teething---I think a molar will be through any day now. He has diaper rash, but I assume it is from the diarrhea.

I've given him Children's tylenol and pedialyte, along with a ton of water. I've gone to the BRAT diet and have kept him exclusively on formula instead of having milk with some meals.

Should I take him in ASAP? Or can I keep an eye on things since the diarrhea seems to be improving?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 07:58 AM
    How long has the diarrhea been going on?

Back off on the water, he needs the electrolytes. Keep with the pedialyte.

How is he acting? Normal? Lethargic?

How are his mucous membranes? Is he crying tears? Peeing? Moist mouth?
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 08:02 AM
    24 hours, give or take a couple hours.

Okay, will do with the pedialyte.

He's acting 100% normal, aside from screaming when we have a diaper change.

He's crying tears, and peeing enough that we're changing a diaper at least every hour, if not sooner. Mouth is moist, and he has a little bit of a runny nose, but not bad at all.
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Well, he's not dehydrated then since all his systems seem to be working. He's got tears, he's peeing, his mouth is moist, and he's acting normally.

I'd wait it out a bit longer especially since the diarrhea is not as watery today as it was yesterday. Just keep him on the BRAT diet.
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Thank you!

That was my thought as well, especially since I know the pediatrician's office is packed on Mondays. I just wanted someone with more experience to confirm my gut feelings on it.

Thank you so much!
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Remember that you are an educated woman and that your "gut" is usually correct.

There are things you have to look for with pediatric illnesses. The #1 is behavior. If it changes (mental status change) then you usually have something to be concerned about.
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 11:36 AM
    Just wanted to share follow up. Lan got a lot more cuddly and sleepy, and his poop got more watery again, despite only bananas and toast to eat. I also think he has a fever, but his bottom is so sore I can't check rectally, and he won't hold still for under the arm... and the stupid batteries died in my ear thermometer.

So I called the nurse's line at the doctor's office and they want me to bring him in. Earliest appt is 7, but they'll call if there is a cancellation for earlier.

Just wanted you to know :)
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Hope all goes well. Keep me posted.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 05:36 PM
    This is bringing back memories.

Synn, you know I'm not a doctor, and I know it sounds weird, and I've mentioned it before, but really, really, really, try the eyewash for his rash. It was a lifesaver for me. Jared had horrific diaper rashes as a baby, we're talking blistering and bleeding diaper rashes. He also had thrush for the first 9 months of his life, which may have had something to do with the rashes.

The reason I tried eyewash was my dad. My dad had shingles for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy, and then developed a rash on his... um... let's just say my dad and Jared had a lot in common. His doctor told him to use eyewash. It worked. So when Jared had back to back rashes that wouldn't clear despite medication, medicated cream (used for yeast infections) and everything else the doctor gave to us, I finally tried the eyewash. It was a life saver. Within two applications his rash was noticeably better. Within days it was gone.

I'm not a doctor, you know that. I can't tell you what to do about the fever, other than follow your gut as a mom. But really, please, try the eyewash. It won't hurt him. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything but the cost of the eyewash. If it does, like it did for me, you'll gain a pain free baby.

Just regular eyewash. I got mine at Walmart, a large bottle, at that time, cost around $12 and lasted for months. I can't remember the name brand I used, it was 14 years ago. But any eyewash should work, they all have the same ingredients.

That's the only suggestion I can make here.

I hope little Boo is feeling better soon. Teething sucks! Jared had a fever for every tooth he popped, and a rash to go with it. Not fun times. I don't envy you.

(hugs)
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Just got back from the doc... she was more concerned about his rash than about the diarrhea. He has gained weight since his visit just 2 weeks ago, and has tears and moisture in his mouth. She said his temp is fine, a little fever but not enough to be concerned about. Since he's eating normally and drinking fluids otherwise, she said to stop the pedialyte unless he starts throwing up or the diarrhea gets worse.

If the diarrhea lasts longer than a week, she wants him back, or if he starts showing signs of dehydration. Otherwise, she isn't worried about him.

She told me to use lotramin (sp?) for his rash, because it is sooooo red she thinks there is a yeast factor involved, and wants me to try the over the counter stuff before they start worrying about it further.

In any case---thanks for keeping me sane today until his appointment. I think I just worry too much about everything.
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 07:00 PM
    I'm glad to hear he's okay.

Synn, worrying is part of being a parent. We all worry about our kids. I won't even bore you with the crap going on at this house. Let's just say that I miss the days when my biggest concern was a diaper rash.

Love you. Glad Boo is okay. :)
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 07:18 PM
    I think I just blew everything out of proportion. I slept almost not at all last night, and am tired and weepy and overwrought about everything today.

I just really appreciate having friends that can hold my hand, even just hypothetically over the internet.
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    I think I just blew everything out of proportion. I slept almost not at all last night, and am tired and weepy and overwrought about everything today.

I just really appreciate having friends that can hold my hand, even just hypothetically over the internet.
    Hey, that's what we're all here for. :)

Get some sleep tonight. I'm sure Boo will be feeling better tomorrow. :)
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 09:42 PM
    I'm glad to hear everything is okay with Boo. I know you are tired. I hope you get some rest tonight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat has diarrhea [ 11 Answers ]

My cat has had diarehha for five days now. Otherwise she is healthy and eating properly. Is there a "home" remedy I can try for her before taking her to the vet?

Diarrhea [ 1 Answers ]

57 yr old female diarrhea off and on since Friday. Can't keep food or liquids down today. Took pepto and immodium yesterday. Accidents while sleeping as well

My cat has diarrhea [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is around 2 years old and for the last 3 days he has had diarrhea including not using restroom in litter for the diarrhea, he has this associated with vomiting, although the vomiting stopped, I'm concerned about the diarrhea, he has been drinking water, which I'm glad because I would like to...

My new cat has diarrhea? [ 0 Answers ]

I just recently got two kittens (brother and sister) from the local shelter near me. They are approximately 3-4 months old. They were checked out by the vet and I have the paperwork. They seem to be doing great except one of them (and I can't figure out which one) has partial runny, partial hard...

Diarrhea [ 4 Answers ]

I did not see a section for pets so I thought it would be okay to ask my question under "people medical conditions". My dog is 6 months old and he has had diarrhea and mucous covered stool off and on for about 3 months now. We have taken him to the vet 3 times and the first time it was Giardia, the...

View more questions Search