Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busterbama Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2005, 07:49 PM
    Distance of deck posts?
    I'm planning to build a deck attached to the end of my house. It will be 12 feet out from the house. The posts will be 2 x 10" concrete blocks (to be covered with artificial stack rock). How far apart can my posts be. Is 12.4foot centers too far apart? This would cause about 11 foot of span between edges of posts. Joists connecting the post are to be 2x16". Joists from front to rear to be 2x10" with 16" centers. Thanks in advance for your response(s).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2005, 07:37 AM
    You might do better to check with where you are buying the material than rely what you find here. 2 x 16's would be rather stout, but likely expensive. You might be better to put in a third post and use lighter members. You are planning to use the common pressure treated lumber?
    busterbama Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 12:17 PM
    Thank you Labman.
    Thank you Labman for your reply and bringing the super adequacy to my attention. I actually want to use 2x10" supports between the posts with the same size joists. Yes, this will be pressure treated lumber. Is the span of the posts too wide? My reason for the distance is to reduce obstruction from lake view.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
    I am afraid not a lot of science goes into these things. Somewhere there should be a table for these things. As I said, material suppliers should be able to help. Another thing would be to go ahead with it as is except leave room for a second 2 x 10 outside of the first one. If the deck is a little springy, add another one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with MTD deck [ 14 Answers ]

I removed my deck on my Yard Machine 600 series 42 inch deck. I rebuilt the spindles and sharpened the blades, but when I remounted the deck, I had a problem with everything lining up correctly. If I hook everything up, the chute side of the deck hits the rear tire. It looks like something got...

Deck Stains [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks can any one point me in the right direction in choosing a good deck stain... Something that will. LAST... Thanks much...

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

View more questions Search