Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doya Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 05:10 PM
    TAX Exempt for OPT/H1b visa holder
    I have been working in New York from November of 2005 with OPT visa (F-1) and got H-1 visa in October, 2006.
    I was told I should file tax as a non-resident for 2006 but I'm wondering if I can still claim exempt as a student for the time I worked as a OPT holder. (I did not claim it for 2005)
    And in that case, which forms should I use?

Please help me!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 10:52 AM
    You CAN file as a non-resident alien for 2006 because you have NOT met the Substantial Presence Test.

However, if you filed as a resident alien in 2005, you filed incorrectly and muist fix that BEFORE you file in 2006.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa, tax exempt? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a research scholar working in the US on J1 visa. I am from India. Am I required to pay income tax, etc. I am new here, and not sure whether one is exempt from taxes on J1 visa. I do not know about the tax treaty between India-US for research scholar on J1 visa. Could you please...

IRA account for H1B Visa Holder [ 5 Answers ]

I'm an Indian Citizen working as a consultant here in US and my current employer does not offer any 401(k) plans or other options. Is there a way I can open a IRA account ( say with ETrade or ShareBuilder) without any issues from my employer's side/ or his knowledge? Are there any more...

Can F1 visa be transferred to H1B visa with out joining OPT program? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Currently I am MSC student on F1 visa currently authorized to work .I have been working as a software engineer,network engineer and web developer for the last six years . I am confused about the conversion of F1 to H1B Visa status. Can I Change my F1 visa to H1B visa with out joining the OPT...

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

View more questions Search