Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wmatthies Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2005, 05:21 PM
    Consumer Electronics Shopping
    My business and personal interest has to do with consumer electronics and technology of all types (car, home, audio, video, computing, communication, etc.) On the business side my clients are companies like Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, and others like them, who make these products. It may surprise you to know but they do not spend nearly as much money as you might think, researching what consumers want. Instead, they invent it, generally in Japan or Korea and if it is at all successful there, they bring it to the rest of the world. And as little as they spend, retailers such as Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. spend even less trying to find out how to please shoppers.

The penetration rates of purchase (the percent of the population who buy each product) might surprise you as well in that they are much lower than you might think. This is sort of “good news” for the companies who make and sell this stuff because it means it could be much better if they could only figure out what they are doing wrong in terms of marketing and retailing their otherwise good products. Volumes could be written about what that is but for starters, our work shows that they dramatically over assume what consumers know/don’t know, want/don’t want and when we don’t buy they think it is because we have made a conscious decision not to. In my experience we don’t buy because they have not given us sufficient reason to do so.

What do you think?
    handy71839 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 08:20 AM

Manufacturers might determine what the user wants by paying attention to the questions/problems posted to their support sites. It has been my experience that most (if not all) support sites treat each query as though it had never happened before and are unable to come up with a quick, relevant solution. These questions should certainly influence the design decisions in the next generation of the device in question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re:Electronics [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a question regarding particular components required for an electronics project I am working on. I hope that anyone with a reasonable knowledge of transistors gets a chance to answer this question as it would be a great help to me. I have a small electronic radio powered with a 9v...

View more questions Search