Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duce432 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Soffit overhang
    I have a colonial with a cantilevered overhang that was covered with aluminum soffit panels when the house was vinyl sided. I donot believe that they insulated in between the joist of the overhang. Do you think it would be possible to remove the metal soffit panels and insulate between the joist and reuse the metal soffit panels ? It is my understanding that a lot of cold air can come through to the house with not having the overhang insulated. I tried looking for the nails of the soffits but cannot seem to see them.:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Your overhang should not be insulated. The insulation should stop in your attic where it reaches the outer wall. You want the soffit to be open to allow air to enter and drift up into the attic and out the roof vents. This is the proper way to remove moisture in your attic and ventilate it. You can add tons of insulation to the attic but do not let it block the sace between the roof rafts and the outside wall.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2007, 05:44 PM
    If you meant what I understand you did, no, don't insulate it. Air must be free to go in the perforated sections of the soffit, in-between the top plate and the roof sheathing, and up through the attic and out the ridge or gable vents. Even the best sealed and insulated houses leak heat and moisture into the attic. If the moisture isn't vented, it condenses creating problems from inefficient, wet insulation to mildew and rot. The heat melts snow allowing it to run down and form ice dams in the gutters.
    Bad outcomes.

The sections of soffit panel rest in a channel formed by the lip on the fascia cover and an ''F'' channel. Usually they are slid in from one end with very few nails if any. You should be able open one end and slide them out. I don't think you want to put insulation on top of them.
    delawaredan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 06:51 AM

What about when the 2nd floor overhangs the 1st floor? Which is what I believe the question was.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Apr 11, 2010, 03:37 PM

You soffits need to be insulated to at least R-19 (or more) with a vapor retarder placed up against the floor in Delaware.

Soffits should be unvented solid.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 04:08 PM

Certainly a cantilevered floor should be insulated. It is no different than the walls of you house except that one is vertical and the other is horizontal. You should be able to to reuse the aluminum soffit material used. When you remove the first piece, which will be the last piece installed, you will expose the nails holding the next piece.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 05:46 PM

Guys, this post is over 2 years old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen soffit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We’re remodelling the kitchen with medium cherry cabinets, red black brown bordeaux granite on the U shaped countertop & tumbled stone backsplash. The off side of the counter is pictured framed and painted almond to pick up a color in the tumbled stone. The question is what to...

Shower enclosure soffit - Stay or go? [ 2 Answers ]

I am beginning a remodel of my bathroom. Currently it has a soffit over the shower stall, and I am trying to decide whether to remove it or keep it. What is the purpose of a soffit above a shower or tub? Can it be remove without any ill effects? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search