Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    northerngentleman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Statute of limitation on credit card debts
    What is the statute of limitation in ontario canada on dept. store credit card debts?

Tks northerngentleman
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2007, 05:06 PM
    I would think its 6 years like most debts, but they can still try and collect through collection agencies after this, they just can't sue
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Mar 12, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Ontario's Limitation's Act was amended as of January 1, 2004.

The limitation period for most causes of action before this date is 6 years.

The limitation period for most causes of action after this date is 2 years.

Incidentally, and unknown to most people, there are some novel defences that can be asserted on your behalf if you are sued by a credit card company in the Ontario Small Claims Court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What exactly is the statute of limitations on credit card debt in NY? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to find credible internet citations. Preferably ones whose content is written by law professionals in lay terms. Thank you.

Statute of limitation [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a statue of limitation on bankruptcy in Maryland? If so what is the time frame?

Statute of Limitations on Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to ask limitations on credit card debt for Ontario. My daughter has this credit card debt back from 2003 (last time she made a payment). She is trying to clear up this debt now, so she called the lender. She gave them all her current info work etc etc. She advised them she would like...

Credit Card Debts / Charged offs [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 credit cards which two of them already reported to CRA my account as R9 ( Charged off ). I was told by so many people that credit card companies after 180 - or 210 days after first delinquency they charge off the account. And turn the account usually to collection firms. I have contacted...

View more questions Search