Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bj236 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 07:54 PM
    How to chose and wire new thermostat?
    Hi I would like to replace my old manual thermostat with a new Honeywell programmable digital touch screen thermostat. I have tried to do some research on my own and from what I've read it is best to get a thermostat in which you cn program the deadband to adjust the number of cycles per hour. I also heard it is good to program a minimum compressor "off time" before it allows to restart. Which would allow the compressor to bleed off the pressure remaining in the lines and allow it to start without any load. I am just quoting things I've read, this is my first time replacing a thermostat but I believe I am fully capable of doing it. Just need some assistance in determining the correct thermostat to purchase and where to connect the wires to the new thermostat. Someone had mentioned the Honeywell TH8321 or TH8320 thermostats? Not sure if these are the ones I'm looking for?

My old thermostat is a Lennox 67K4801 / 3AAT89B38G1

Old Slots = Color of wire

O = Orange wire
    G = Green wire
    Y1 = Yellow wire
    R = Red wire
    L = Tan/Brown wire
    T = Blue wire
    C = Black wire
    W1 = White wire

My thermostat also has a light that has never come on but does say Emergency Heat.

I believe to the best of my ability I have a Heat pump with Emergency Heat (1 Cool/2Heat Stages) Not positive

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 09:22 PM
    It looks like you have a single stage heat pump system you may not have to use the L or T circuit with the new thermostat. You will need a heat pump thermostat for one stage cooling two stage heat. Just about all your digital thermostats will come set up for anti short cycle and will be set at 4 cycles per hour. The droop will be set when you configure it for gas heat or heat pump.
    bj236 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Thank you very much for your response! While I was looking up Honeywell thermostats they have something called precise comfort control which keep the comfort within +/- 1 degrees and had heard people complaining about it cycling their compressors, I mean a lot of people had good things to say but like always they're were those certain few people that had negative reviews, I just don't want to buy something that ends up costing me more energy than my old analog thermostat I am assuming if it cycled a lot it would use more energy and doing any extra work for my compressor shortening its life span, Would you recommend any specific thermostats or? Should I just stick with Honeywell? Thanks again for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 wire heat thermostat and 2 wire air thermostat want to wire to a programmable [ 1 Answers ]

2 wire heat thermostat and 2 wire air thermostat want to wire both to a programmable thermostat, need wiring information

Hunter 44905 Thermostat ground wire connector- where do the wire go [ 0 Answers ]

Just bought hunter 44905 thermostat and the wires that goes to the old one include the ground wire.where do this wire go on my new hunter 44905 thermostat connector? Thanks

Replacing 4 wire White Rogers Thermostat with 5 Wire Thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old White-Rogers thermostat with only 4 wires coming out of the wall and need to replace it but the only new ones I find (at Home Depot) have 5 wires. How do I hook up a 5 wire thermostat to 4 wires and still have it work properly? Big John

Chose software engineering life cycle and why you chose it? [ 1 Answers ]

SCENARIO Integrated Library Board The Integrated Library Board (ILB) was established on early 90s, to spearhead the transformation of library services in Singapore in the Information Age. Its mission is to expand the learning capacity of the nation so as to enhance national competitiveness and...

I'm replacing an old 2 wire thermostat with a Hunter (#44155C). Wire placement? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not sure of the wire placement. I have a black and white wire attached to my old thermostat. The new thermostat has attachments labeled G, RC, Rh, Y/O, W/B, Y1. There is a jumper connecting RC and RH. Do I connect the black wire to RH and the white wire to W/B? Any help would be greatly...

View more questions Search