Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Windows 8
    Anyone tried Windows 8 on a PC yet? Your thoughts?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2012, 07:36 AM
    Too happy with Win7 on my desktop and laptop and I also have my Android tablets, no need to upgrade at all here. If I wait long enough often my tech support clients give me a free license. :-)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2012, 07:44 AM
    While there is a fairly steep learning curve to use the new Start screen, I like it.

The desktop interface from 7 (and earlier) is still pretty much intact if one wants to use it. But the ability to have the same interface from desktop to laptop to tablet to phone to game console is a good thing.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 07:50 AM
    I love Windows 7 but I hear 8 gives a nice performance boost, plus at $40 for the pro version it's tempting. So Scott, any perks to go with your Xbox by upgrading?

Nov 2, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Not a gamer so can't speak to XBox. But Win 8 does seem to load much faster.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 08:05 AM
    You said something about game console so I just wondered if 8 and Xbox played nice together.

Nov 2, 2012, 08:10 AM
    Yes, Xbox has the same "Start Screen" interface.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 2, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Win8 on "normal" desktop/laptop best avoided.
    The interface formally known as Metro is designed for touch, everything, including desktop, is an app within Metro.
    So to get the most from Win8 your looking at a highly spec'd CPU with bucket loads of RAM and a (large) touch screen monitor.

It's MS attempt to catch up with Apple and Android in the tablet and touch market, it's NOT for business use. Your average business user is a Luddite and has difficultly with change of this magnitude..
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Win8 on "normal" desktop/laptop best avoided.
    The interface formally known as Metro is designed for touch, everything, including desktop, is an app within Metro.
    So to get the most from Win8 your looking at a highly spec'd CPU with bucket loads of RAM and a (large) touch screen monitor.

It's MS attempt to catch up with Apple and Android in the tablet and touch market, it's NOT for business use. Your average business user is a Luddite and has difficultly with change of this magnitude..
    I agree. Its too bad an uninformed public is going to have this OS ramrodded upon them. Time for MS to go by the wayside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have windows Vista, and I can't open files designated to Windows Media Center? [ 9 Answers ]

I have Windows Vista, which came with this computer, And occasionally get files from my daughter's school designated to Windows Media Center, which I can't open in anything. There seems to be nowhere to open it in Media Center, but when I click it... that's where it takes me. Very frustrating.

Cost of replacing windows and frames for 40 casement windows [ 1 Answers ]

I need to buy 40 new windows and frames for wooden casement windows.What would be reasonable for energy efficient windows like this?

Email sending prob. In windows vista using windows mail [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problem in sending emails in windows mail in vista. Up to yesterday, it was working fine. I have deleted and created the account again. Email address,pwd, pop n smtp etc everything is correct but email are not going. There is genuine windows vista with Mecafee. No problem with incoming...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

View more questions Search