Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Nov 1, 2012, 07:37 PM
    1 1/2 hp well pump, 4600 watt generator
    I have a friend who is wiring his panel to work with his generator (using a transfer switch). The generator is a Yamaha 4000 watt (4600 surge), and the well pump is 1 &1/2 horsepower (around 1200 watts?) My concern is with startup watts; I'm personally unfamiliar with how well pumps run with generators, will this likely work? Or is there no way to tell without hooking it up?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2012, 02:42 AM
    According to this chart, 4 KW generator is too small for a 1.5 HP motor.

Electric Motor Wattage Guide

Nov 2, 2012, 07:53 AM
    Thanks for the info, we'll give it a try anyway and see if it works.

Jan 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
    I know this is an old post, I just wanted to give an update. We got the generator hooked up and tested it out. (The exact model of the generator is a yamaha EF4600). The economy switch was on at first, which brings the engine RPMs down when there is no load. We turned on the well breaker and the generator quit instantly. We turned the economy switch off on the generator, restarted it, and let it run for a minute, then switched the well back on. It seemed to "struggle" just a little bit, but ran for a short time and built the water pressure back up to normal before the pump shut off. The generator ran fine from then on.
    Is there a risk of damaging either the generator or the pump during long term power outages if it is turned on a couple of times a day? It will of course be the only appliance running at the time.
    Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2013, 06:07 AM
    Yes, since it was decided to use a generator that is too small to start a 1.5 HP motor, there is a risk of damaging both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman 3500 watt generator? [ 6 Answers ]

After starting my Craftsman generator, it will run for (exactly) 60 seconds then just dies, it does not sputter like it is running out of gas, it just shuts off. After a few minutes, I'll restart it, and it'll run for 10 seconds and dies again, this will repeat until I quit trying to start it. I...

Can a 2000 watt generator run a small electric chain saw [ 1 Answers ]

Can a 2000 watt portable generator run a small electric chain saw that's rated at 3.5 hp?

5.3 amp pump motor and 1500 watt wall heater on same 20 amp breaker [ 9 Answers ]

I want to wire a bath room up flush toilet which is 5.3 amps motor into a curicuit with a 1500 watt wall heater ( 13 amps) on a 120 -20 amp breaker . The heater is never on and the toilet would only come on when some one uses down stairs bathroom.

I have a craftsman generator 3500 watt that's not putting out electrical current [ 1 Answers ]

On the side it says Craftsman 3500 watt 7.0hp overhead value engine model# 580.327130 serial# 5518449

Installing Manual Transfer Switch for 7000 Watt Generator [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about installing a manual transfer switch to be used with a portable 7000 Watt generator to power essentials during power outages. To preface this, I am going to have an electrician do the work, but am trying to get an idea of how it will work and how much parts will cost. I am...

View more questions Search