Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red_daisy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 02:39 PM
    roommate left his belongings and did not pay his share of bills and rent
    Myself and one other person are on a written lease agreement. Our third roommate was on a verbal lease agreement. He stopped living at our residence almost 4 months ago and left all of his belongings. He will randomly state he wants his stuff back, and we say we want the $700+ he owes us. Can we get into trouble to just dispose of his things as we wish?
    Thank you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
    You can not legally hold his belongings in lieu of the rent. You can sue him but your verbal agreement may be difficult to substantiate in court. He might try to say there never was any agreement. If he asked for his belongings and you refused, due to the rent, you can not pitch his stuff. Do the right thing even if he isn't doing right by you. Send him a certified letter saying he should pick up his belongings by a reasonable date. After that date his stuff can go to the curb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Left ! [ 2 Answers ]

My fiance' and I moved in to our 2 bedroom apartment with a one year lease in August. We live in Pennsylvania. Our landlord, at the time, told us that we could move in a roommate and even a second one in our small extra room for lower rent. So we found one and she moved in the large room a week...

Roommate just left! [ 3 Answers ]

My fiance' and I moved in to our 2 bedroom apartment with a one year lease in August. We live in Pennsylvania. Our landlord, at the time, told us that we could move in a roommate and even a second one in our small extra room for lower rent. So we found one and she moved in the large room a week...

Ex-roommate refuses to pay rent and deposit back [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I moved in with someone I considered like a brother into an apartment in Philadelphia in May 2005. I knew him for over a year and a half before we moved in together when he was in college and I had started working. He would have money issues and I would pay for his share of the rent and...

Belongings left behind after termination of lease [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in PA. We have a tenant who requested to terminate her lease, and we accepted her request. We were receiving a Section 8 voucher, but she had not paid her portion of the rent for two months. In my letter accepting her terminating the lease, we told her to be out by November 30. She has...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

View more questions Search