Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2005, 02:26 PM
    NIC won't assign IP
    I have a laptop connected just fine on my home wireless network. My desktop (wired) is another story. It was working fine and then just quit. If I run an ipconfig... it comes back with a 169. Number which means its not getting out to the network. I have turned off the firewall and all the TCP/IP settings are exactly the same as the laptop.

If I put a static IP address in the desktop, it will let me ping an ip address such as Yahoo, but it won't let me ping yahoo.com (or any name). But, if I switch back to a dynamic address, it just finds that 169.number.

I replaced the NIC and that didn't work. I have switched cables, etc and nothing is working. The laptop connects just fine. The desktop won't. I'm wondering if spyware or a virus has caused something to block the ip address from being assigned on the NIC.

Please help!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2005, 06:52 PM
    If you have Win XP you can try resetting the tcp/ip stack. This is the command (Start > Run, type in 'cmd', press Enter):
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

As discussed here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 13, 2005, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    If I put a static IP address in the desktop, it will let me ping an ip address such as yahoo, but it won't let me ping yahoo.com (or any name).
    That particular problem is caused by not having the correct DNS servers entered. You can find them by doing

Ipconfig /all

On your working machine, or by looking at your DHCP server's settings.
    jcopeland Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 09:25 AM
    NIC won't assign IP
    This is most likely a winsock problem. Have you just recently updated to sp2? If so try removing the sp2 and see if that does it. You may have some title that is not compatible with sp2.

And of course you could just wipe it. That fixes everything
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 10:46 AM
    IP still not assigning
    According to my dsl provider I have to have the DNS settings to automatic. I did however pull the DNS settings out of the working laptop and put those into the desktop thinking, just like you, that that would fix the issue... it didn't. I still have the same problem.

Also, I have not installed SP2.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 14, 2005, 03:33 PM
    According to my dsl provider i have to have the DNS settings to automatic.
    That only works if you use DHCP. If you go static IP, you will have to manually set the gateway and DNS servers.
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 05:17 PM
    Try looking in your host file
    Have try re-setting your router OR look into the host file in C:\WINDOWS\\system32\drivers\etc? Drag the host file in notepad and if you see any ip address under 127.0.01, remove it, save the host file, and re-boot. Otherwise, I agree with jcopeland, sp2 update or/and spyware may be blocking. Simply un-install sp2 if you have sp2 installed. And it's good to always have some sort of spyware killer on hand. I recommend the new Microsoft antispyware and ADWARESAFE (adwaresafe.com). Both will automatically scan your PC at the time you would like it to do so, unlike ad-aware or pestpatrol. MS antispyware will even remove them for you automatically, too as a bonus. Of course, the worst case is to format and re-install. If you do that, I highly recommend installing NORTON GOBACK the 1st thing after re-installing XP which will restore your PC any moment to the time when your PC work.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2005, 02:11 AM
    Unplug the router, then plug it back in. Finally, reboot the computer.

Gl
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 13, 2005, 09:13 AM
    Is this still a problem?
    Just checking. Did you get this item resolved? The 169.254 problem can be a complex problem. Probably related to a corrupt TCP stack a/o Winsock error.

P2E

I have a laptop connected just fine on my home wireless network. My desktop (wired) is another story. It was working fine and then just quit. If I run an ipconfig... it comes back with a 169. number which means its not getting out to the network. I have turned off the firewall and all the TCP/IP settings are exactly the same as the laptop.

If I put a static IP address in the desktop, it will let me ping an ip address such as yahoo, but it won't let me ping yahoo.com (or any name). But, if I switch back to a dynamic address, it just finds that 169.number.

I replaced the NIC and that didn't work. i have switched cables, etc and nothing is working. the laptop connects just fine. the desktop won't. I'm wondering if spyware or a virus has caused something to block the ip address from being assigned on the NIC.

Please help!!
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Oct 9, 2005, 12:43 AM
    Just to clarify...

The post RE needing to enter DNS and Gateway information when using static IP addresses, you should enter the IP address of your router. The router obtains all the information from your DSL provider automatically, and should forward any DNS reqests to the automatically configured address. So just use the router's IP address for the Default Gateway and Primary DNS Server.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search