Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skeptical_Andy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 06:24 PM
    Wildlife Science and Zoology?
    I am currently a senior in high school and I'm very interested in becoming a zoologist. The college that I'm currently focusing on is SUNY college of environmental science and forestry. now see the school, from what I've researched doesn't offer a Zoology course, however they do offer a Wildlife science major. I was wondering what's the difference. If I was to major in Wildlife science could I still become a zoologist, or is it completely different? Sorry if I sound very lost, its just that all this college hunting is getting a bit stressful.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Oct 31, 2012, 11:37 PM
    According to SUNY's Wildlife Science Major you would be required to take vertebrate and invertebrate biology courses. That is zoology.

Oct 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
    So basically they just use a different name for the major?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 1, 2012, 04:30 AM
    A good school that fits you in many ways (location, size, financial aid, price) is far more important than narrowing down their course titles. Many students totally change their midns about their area of interest anyway.
    To be a zoologist, you will need graduate school. Then is when you nit pick over what they offer for courses and even certain professors.

Nov 1, 2012, 11:22 AM
    I actually haven't thought much of it that way. The thing is that I'll be the first kid in my family to be going to college, as much as my parents want to help, they don't really know how to, so It can be kind of confusing at times for me. But yea, the school is perfect in my opinion, the location is great, the price isn't to high, and as for the classes that it offers, I think they're all great, I just wanted to make sure about the zoology major. Thank you, so much for clearing that up.

Nov 1, 2012, 06:00 PM
    The name of the major available from SUNY, Wildlife Science, is a reflection of the curricula. In this major, it appears the concentration is on wildlife management rather than animal care. The major is preparing students for working with or for animals in the wild rather than raising animals in a zoo.

What are you interested in? Do you want to become a zookeeper, veterinarian, scientist, or biologist? There are many jobs that require knowing about animals. Not all of them require advanced degrees or even degrees.

US Dept of Labor - Zoologist

Nov 1, 2012, 06:46 PM
    To be honest, I'm not completely sure. As I mentioned earlier, I had my mind set on studying animals and becoming a zoologist or biologist. But really I love anything that has to do with nature, and the environment, that's why I'm really focusing on this college. The job opportunities, from what I've read, seem very good.
    If I was to graduate from this college with the, lets say, the Wildlife science major, what career opportunities will I have?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2012, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptical_Andy View Post
    If I was to graduate from this college with the, lets say, the Wildlife science major, what career opportunities will I have?
    The best person to answer this is someone in the career guidance office at this SUNY, with testimony from those who have gone through the program.

Nov 7, 2012, 12:24 AM
    SUNY's Wildlife Science major is applicable for any job that requires field biology skills. I feel lucky that my major was directly related, when I first started, to my career. A wildlife science major has skills directly applicable for work with animals, plants and habitats outdoors. You could work in the field of habitat restoration, environmental analysis, regulatory enforcement, compliance, conservation, or advocacy. Many jobs don't require specific educational backgrounds. For instance you might specialize in entomology, but the job you apply for accepts any biological science degree, and you end up mapping the distribution of weeds on a computer. Unless you're really talented or lucky, you won't get rich with a science career, but you can be comfortable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wildlife destroying yard [ 13 Answers ]

My yard is backed by a wildlife preserve. We have all sorts of visitors to our yard including a 500+ pound wild pig. She only comes out at night so we aren't particularly concerned about her - other than she keeps destroying our yard. We keep laying sod and she keeps rooting it up. We're...

WildLife Management [ 4 Answers ]

First off. I'm no little kid so don't assume please and thank you. (its happened before lol) I'm currently taking a wildlife and forestry conservation course and I've read over my PDF file four times now on upland birds. My exam is Tomorrow and the only things I can't find answers to are ...

Wildlife and forestry conservation [ 2 Answers ]

I've been seriously considering getting into wildlife and forestry conservation. What I was wondering was. What kind of money do they make and is there a large need for them. Wildlife officers in my area are so depressing. They ship them over from the other side of the provence because we don't...

View more questions Search