Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KNK Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Marriage and Family
    My name is Kayla and I will be nineteen in May. I met the love of my life a couple years ago and we have been dating since March of last year. We both care about each other very much and are completely in love. He is still in high school and is eighteen. I go to a community college and will be transferring to a Tusculum program which is where you only go to school on Friday and Saturday for 3 weeks out of a month then you are done with a class. He wants to go to a community college then to bible college. We were planning on getting married in 2010 and our parents were okay with that. We have talked and we really want to get married next summer on June 14. We both have great jobs and we will still get our education no kids for at least three years but if it's what God has planned we will take responsibility for it but we want to be together. I know without a doubt that he is the one for me. My problem is that we want to tell our parents because we are both family people. But we are afraid of what they will say. He will be 19 and I will be 20. We are both fully ready to be committed to each other and to help each other grow, but we know they won't understand and will say we are making a big mistake. What should I do? I really want our families to play a big part in this wedding and this decision.
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2007, 02:34 AM
    You guys have only been dating a year you still have so much to learn about each other. I am sure you feel like getting married right now... everybody feels like that during the first year, it's the best feeling. Anyway you didn't ask whether I thought it was right or not you asked how to approach your parents... I suggest Telling them thatt you guys are really serious about your comintment to each other and to prove it you are going to do at least 6months of marriage councling before you are marrried. Then if at the end of that you still feel the same way that you will then get marreid. This will show them that you are serious but also help build your relationship. It's a win/win situation. I truly believe there would be less of a divorce rate if couples would do this. I think it should be the law. I am almost 25 and I married my besr friend of 11 years at the age of 22 so I understand the young love thing but I still suggest the councling. There are a lot of things you two haven't faced yet and that will help you to handle thise situations. Good luck.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 03:09 AM
    I think your plan of getting married 2010 is a best idea. No changing minds, this year 2010 will give you plenty of experience together. Schooling and college under your belt. Your so very young right now. Take your time and be patient and enjoy each others time together before jumping into marriage.

Joe
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 06:22 AM
    For such an important decision I think you should be patient and wait for at least another year to get the added experience with life, before you actually just jump in. A year of dating is fine but a year where you both are out of school into the real world would be better. Why rush when there is no hurry?
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 14, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Wise choice in waiting for you are still both growing and will be spreading "your wings" to do and try new things in life.
    Marriage will be there still in the future if you both still feel the same then toward each other.
    Let the parents know of your intents adding that you both are going at this as mature adults and are willing to wait so you can still explore things that you might regret not doing later in life.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 14, 2007, 03:19 PM
    I know how it feels like you can't wait, but all the advice above is right... give yourselves more time for growth. If you are sure he is the one, there is no need to rush into a marital commitment. That opportunity will always be there.
    KNK Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Thank you all you have helped tremendously! I appreciate all the advice and I know there is no rush to get married. We're still talking about it though. We're still planning on next year but we're taking things a day at a time right now and seeing how it goes. Our families are supportive of us and they just want what is best for each of us. They know we really love each other and will be committed to each other. We are still praying and thinking about it though and if God tells us it is wrong then we will wait. Thanks again!
    Kayla

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell my family? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm 15 year old goth/emo female.Ok.I think I'm bisexual.I'm pretty sure I am.I think about having sex with them and everything.But I don't know how to tell my family.Because they "make fun of" non straight people.And I fear that they will disown me and mock me. What should I do?:confused:

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend live in the same state,but in a different city.We been going together for almost 3months and he asked me to marry him on valentines day next year. Do you think that it's to soon to be talking about marriage. He was born in 3/7/1984 and I was born 9/27/1984. I want to move down...

Help with family [ 3 Answers ]

Dear, I need help on a situation that, I guess can be described as somewhat abusive. My 20-year-old sister "Kim" has turned into a burden that I don't think I can handle, nor do I want to. I feel like my family is being torn apart an I am being torn up inside. "Kim" is the middle child in...

View more questions Search