Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandamaddux Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Mixed families
    I have a 3 year and my fiancé has a 7 year old daughter my son and fiancé don't seem to be bonding at all I kept my son away from my relationship for the first year because I did want him to bond with some one who wasn't going to always going to be a part of him life and over the last year I have brought him around my fiancé but my son seems scared of him my fiancé has never yelled at him or punished him in anyway so this is strange and alarming my son is normaly very social but now that we are planning on getting married I want my son and my fiancé to bond my fiancés daughter and I have started to creat a bond and its going great what should I do about my son and my fiancé
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2007, 02:40 AM
    Create more opurtunities for the family to bond as a whole. Your three year old my be sencing your desperation for them to bond and it might feel forced. Is his dad in his life? He might feel threatened by your new guys presence. If your guy is trying to hard that might be making your little guy uncomfotable. Kids pick up on more then we give them credit for. M
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 13, 2007, 12:01 PM
    The big secret here is TIME. Your son may only be three, but like all children, he is very perceptive and skeptical of change. Perhaps he fears that the new man and child in your life will leave less of you just for him. Perhaps he doesn't know how this new family fits together. My advice is to create very routine days for him, so he develops the security of knowing what to expect next. Also, set aside at least one distinct mommy and son time for a special activity just for you two each week, or more often if needed. This way he knows you are well aware of his need to be close to you and to not have to share you all of the time. It will show him that you will still make time for him, and that he is still your number one guy. On top of that, you need to introduce the concept of belonging to this new family to him in regular, small doses. Maybe you could all make dinner together, play a board game (trouble is easy and fun for both 3 and 7 year olds with a little help). Just remember to be patient. Your responses to his behavior and needs will shape the success of this family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Young Marriage, Families and Religion [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, Im needing to get opinions about a dilemma I am facing. I am 20 years of age and have been with my partner for almost 4 years now. I am head over heels for him even more so now than 4 years ago. My question relates to marriage. One year after we started dating he proposed to me. I said no...

Mixed Messages [ 3 Answers ]

What does it mean when a guy says he cares about you, not like a friend but doesn't want to give you false hope. He broke up with me after being together for 6 years and started dating someone 3 months after. Is it likely that his current relationship is a rebound? I know they were intimate and...

Homosexual families [ 4 Answers ]

Do you think that homosexuals should have the legal right to raise a child? Do you consider it appropriate to the child or children or on society as a whole? Is they a difference? Would it affect the child? I :confused: really needs to know

Mixed Up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had someone do my taxes for me. I gave them all of my documents. On one of the documents was my mother's SS# because we share in a mortgage together. The tax person put that SS# on my return instead of mine (which was on all of the 5 other pieces of documentation). I was unaware of this...

View more questions Search