Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Oct 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Should veterans be asked to pay for their recognition on Veteran's Day?
    I am uncomfortable with this idea and am having a difficult time trying to discern if I am being brainwashed by my local politicians, seeking outside opinions.

The town is asking school students to bring in $ for each veteran in their family to pay for a small recognition item on veteran's day assembly. (bear in mind these are grade school students, so their $ is really Mom and Dad's $ and if Mom or Dad is the vet then s/he is essentially paying for his/her own recognition. Not to mention the veteran's family is regardless.) The $ does not go towards the recognition item, as that is handmade by the kids at little to no cost and in the past has always been offered for free to all vets. The $ instead is going to pay for a huge new mechanically lowered flag for the assembly room. The flag has been touted as showing our patriotism and will be first used on Veteran's Day. The flag will be ostentatiously lowered into the room in lieu of the fellows who usually volunteer from the local VFW posting the colors.

Further, this flag fundraiser is destined to raise about $6000 from this and other fundraising sources. Previous years the town raised money for sending WWII vets to their memorial with Honor Flight. Donations were just solicited for the cause, not as 'purchasing' vet recognition items. And in 2 years time the same town raised less than $2000 for Honor Flight, but so far they are close to their $6000 flag goal already.

Opinions?

Check out some similar questions!

Veterans Day [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Veterans: Thank you. excon

My fianc? Asked for space and asked me to move out. [ 11 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have one child together. She has a child with an ex. The child is autistic (found out this year). We have been fighting a lot because of the stress from therapy and all of his app. We have not been having sex a lot lately and not been getting along because she is having a hard time...

Ashamed by way Veterans are treated [ 83 Answers ]

Yesterday I was working a case and looking for a potential witness. Story is this - witness is a two-time Veteran of Iraq, deployed twice (obviously). Came home with "anger issues." Went to VA which is understaffed and overworked. They suggested private counselling which he cannot afford. Was...

Q about Veterans benefits and the requirements [ 10 Answers ]

I am waiting for a job. I take care of elderly people and the family of this one man told me that they could not hire me yet because the militery insurance would not pay for a caregiver till there was some problems with the house like a bad spot in the floor and the wiring is bad. They said the...

BILLS! Medicare B vs. Veterans Affairs [ 6 Answers ]

Should my dad continue to pay $280+/month for Medicare B, when he is now covered and only sees doctors at the Veterans Affairs hospital. All he has to pay the VA is $8 co-pays for prescriptions and like $50 for other stuff. Medicare B only covers doctors visits and equipment from non government...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search