Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lily2012 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
    Is it legal for an employer to pay overtime through its per diem account?
    I have search the net for an answer. I was only able to find articles explaining and defining per diem as an expense account used for travel expenses (which is my understanding of the term). I was NOT able to find one article related to per diem paying for overtime (non-travel) wages which lead me to question the legallity of it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 04:31 PM
    You are wondering if it's legal to use a bank account dedicated to payment of per diem to also pay overtime? I really don't think that, legally, it makes any difference. The employer could pay overtime with cash kept in a drawer, legally. Now, from an accouting practices point if view that may be a different matter; you would have to ask an accountant about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to report my employer for not paying overtime [ 3 Answers ]

I am an hourly employee who is entitled to OT pay under the Texas Payday Law and federal Law. This man owns 2 stores and I work in both locations. He has set up each location under 2 different corporations and splits the time. His name and his wife's name. He actually produces separate time records...

In Texas how long can an employer hold overtime pay? [ 1 Answers ]

How long can an employer hold your overtime pay before paying you for the overtime? If I work overtime on 06/03/12 can my employer not pay me for the overtime until 07/13/12, three paychecks later?

Reimbursable per diem vs. employer paid per diem [ 2 Answers ]

Can you file a shortage for per diem on your taxes? If so, what basis is used to determine that difference?

Employer owes overtime [ 5 Answers ]

My former employer never pays overtime. They are a small, family business who pays only cash for OT, as well as improper business practices as cash sales undeclared etc. My brother still is there and is owed years of correct OT- I told him to report them to IRS, and Labor but he knows he will be in...

View more questions Search