Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Is 220V better than 110V?
    My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient.

Would I see a savings on the electric bill?

Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge.

Could I just change the breaker and the wiring position?

David
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2005, 11:10 AM
    You could, but I don't think it would make that much difference as long a 12 gauge wire is adequate. The motor would still see the same voltage and amperage, it is just that the windings would then be in series instead of parallel. The wiring would carry about half the amps. This would reduce line loses somewhat, more so if the wire is marginal for the amperage.

The big advantage of 220 is being able to carry larger loads without running larger wires.
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2005, 08:56 AM
    In a nutshell
    If it aint't broke, don"t fix it..
    bryankr29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2005, 08:21 PM
    Help With 220v
    Need help figuring out how to wire a panel in my track truck to run a compressor and some lights. I bought a panel and wired but the compressor won't stay on. It comes on slow and then trips the breakers on the generator. The compressor draws 15 amps on start up. Please help with wiring
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2005, 03:45 AM
    It sounds as...
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyds
    My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient.

Would I see a savings on the electric bill?

Is this true? The wires now are 12 guage.

Could I just change the breaker and the wiring position?

David
    ... if you've a mind to save energy and as Labman replied it can lead to cost savings due to the reduced I^2*R losses in the wiring. Assuming the wiring is safe to begin with, check that your panel has a slot open to accommodate a 220VAC breaker with current rating indicated on the pump's template. Keep in mind you'll be gaining a half-slot if and when you convert. The wiring diagram on or just inside the pump (motor housing) should be self-explanatory. As for the actual conversion, leave it to an experienced electrician to either do the work or be nearby in the event you are considering doing it yourself. For particulars relating to your pump and the existing wiring, post any further questions/concerns you may have to this subject forum.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2005, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bryankr29
    need help figuring out how to wire a panel in my track truck to run a compressor and some lights. i bought a panel and wired but the compressor wont stay on. it comes on slow and then trips the breakers on the generator. the compressor draws 15 amps on start up. please help with wiring
    You have to have a generator that can put out over 3300 watts at 220 volts and a panel meant for 220. You will need to connect the 2 hot wires, black and red, to the 2 busses on the panel and the neutral to the neutral. If you have it set up that way, and it doesn't work, post back with details. May not get back to you until Monday.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110v vs 220v Applicances [ 8 Answers ]

I am redoing a house, and am replacing many appliances (water heater, room air conditioner, mini oven/stove). For each of these, I have the choice of either choosing 110v or 220v applicances. I've always wanted to know: - Is there an advantage to installing 220v appliances. - Is it cheaper...

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

What is better to use 110V or 220V? [ 2 Answers ]

What is better to use 110V or 220V?

Rewiring 220V coffee maker to 110V [ 4 Answers ]

I want to buy a vintage European coffeemaker with a heating element (220V 50hz) and do whatever is necessary to get it to plug safely into a standard two-prong or three-prong wall outlet here in the USA. I've read some answers here about converting a 220V appliance to 110V, but the answers...

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

View more questions Search