Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    courtney_reigh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2012, 10:22 PM
    Hospice volunteer activity ideas
    I'm a hospice volunteer and I just got assigned to my very first lady! She's super sweet, but has minimal communication skills... She's also a Jehovah's witness. Obviously we can't color christmas cards or any holiday things. And I want to read to her or listen to music or watch movies, but I'm worried what I'll pick out won't be what she wants to do. Any suggestions on what to do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
    Use visual aids like puppets or a flannel board to tell easy, short stories (or make them up). She would like Old Testament Bible stories, so visit a store that carries Bible characterers as puppets or in flannel. Use those as ideas to make your own.

Play "program" music -- Grand Canyon Suite by Grofe or Peer Gynt Suite by Grieg or short classical pieces that evoke a mental picture and then talk to her about what you hear. Your library's reference desk will give you many ideas for music of this type and will obtain CDs for you from other libraries (if that library doesn't own them).

Tell the librarian about this volunteer job. I'm sure the library has more ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mom is in hospice; I need suggestions to help her pass the time [ 2 Answers ]

Mom has been in hospice, in her home, with caregivers for several months now. She will watch a little TV during the day and has enjoyed coloring in "adult" coloring books. (Not x-rated! I just mean they aren't cartoons pictures for kids!) But reading doesn't hold her attention any longer. ...

Activity ideas for hospice patients [ 14 Answers ]

I've been volunteering at a hospice since January. Typically, the people we spend time with have less than 6 months to live. The first lady I went to visit really didn't have a use for me I guess. To be quite honest, she appeared in good shape and seemed pretty independent for 93. I honestly...

Activity-Based Costing /Activity Cost pools [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I need some help with trying to figure out how to calculate the overhead cost per unit. I have computed the Activity rate as well as the overhead applied for both products. The following is the info provided: Product / Direct Labor hours / annual prod. ...

Activity Based Costing in Accounting - Activity Drivers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm required to introduce Activity Based Costing in Finance branch of a Government Department. Does anyone know what Activity Drivers can be used for non-transactional based activities, such as preparation of Budgets, Annual Report, or other Accounting "common activities". The way system...

Hospice [ 2 Answers ]

My friends father is suffering with a terminal illness. And the pallative team have asked him to go to a hospice for a few weeks, now is this just for respite or is this patient close to dying. My friend is really worried and is so scared. The doctor is not very communicative. Please help

View more questions Search