Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deb335 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
    Could the wind from hurricane sandy have caused smoke detectors to go off ?
    It's very windy, also blew out candles and thought that caused hard-wired, battery backup smoke detectors to go off - all 9 of them simultaneously at midnight. Fanning with air did nothing. After 20 minutes and no reason discovered we pulled the batteries for a few minutes then put them back in. so far - quiet! If the battery in one unit is bad will it set off the system as a full fire alert? Our other ones just chirped at the affected unit if the battery needed changed, it didn't trip the whole house!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2012, 06:07 AM
    1 likely sensed something or false alarmed, triggering the rest as they are interconnected.
    A red light on a detector may tell which triggered them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke Detectors [ 10 Answers ]

I am replacing 11 year old detectors which have been producing false alarms... The existing harness wires are BLACK, WHITE and YELLOW... The new detectors have harness wires which are BLACK, White and RED... I'm not sure what to do with the existing YELLOW and new RED wires... Thank you in...

Smoke detectors going off without smoke once in a hour? [ 1 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors are going off simultaneously through out the house once every hour. And it continues for 5-10 minutes before stopping. No smoke is there in any part of the house at those times. IT is happening first time and the winter temperatures are around 30 deg outside. The smoke...

Smoke detectors [ 0 Answers ]

As part of a renovation I am thinking about running electric to my smoke detectors in my ranch house from the basement. I have a couple of questions. - Are there combination smoke/CO2 detectors that can inter-communicate ? - Do these units need to be replaced every 5 years? - Can the units...

Smoke detectors [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Besides the smoke detector that is require in the hallway, does the NEC require also to install them in all bedrooms or only in the master bedroom? Thanks

Smoke Detectors: Something is not right [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 detectors in the house: 1 in the basement, 1 in the MBR on the first floor, and 3 upstairs in the bedroom. The detector in the basemet has a Green LED on. I am assuming it is the first detector in that circuit coming from the breaker box. Inside the basement detector are 4 other...

View more questions Search