Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Tankless Hot Water Heater issue
    I have a Dianfend ( not 100 percent sure on spelling) tankless hot water heater.
    It is natural gas, and uses 220 electric for electric power. It does not have a pilot light that I can see. ** did not take the cover off.
    It plugs into the electric outlet with a GCI plug and it has power. * light is on.

The unit will light and work fine part of the time, it may go for two or three days and work perfect. Then it will just not light. It may go for a few hours or even a full day and not work at all.

When it is not working, I don't hear any "click" sound like it trying to light the gas.

I have OK water pressure and volume.

It has settings for 1. more or less water 2 more or less gas 3. summer or winter

Ok actually the settings are in Chinese but there is english written under them that say this.

Is there a safety normally on these if there is a gas issue ? Or is there a ignition switch that makes the spark to light gas that may be bad ?

The speed and ability of the apartment maintain staff is somewhat lacking at times. So if they send a plumber worker up, he may only work on the pipes, but will not look at electric. The worker who does electric will not do pipes.

So in the few months I find it easier often just to fix it myself, if it is not too costly to do so.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 02:28 PM
    Hello FR Chuck

I'm sorry to tell you this, but when it comes to these newer type instantaneous tankless water heaters you are going to be better off calling the technical department of the manufacturer directly.

Simply put, each manufacturer has a completely different setup and troubleshooting it with you will only waste valuable time back and forth and will probably only frustrate everyone in the end!

In my area, we primarily use Navian, Bosch and Rinnai and they are completely different than each other. I've never even heard of Dianfend (couldn't find any variation on the name either ).

Anyway, unless one of the other guys is VERY familiar with this brand I can promise you that your best bet is as I suggested at the start: contact tech. support of your heater... these guys are usually very quick at troubleshooting and helping to resolve the issues!

Good luck!

Mark
    Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 03:42 PM
    This is a brand made in China, and tech support is of course all Chinese speaking.

I have the issues with unit printed out in Chinese and if I could get their customer service on a online chat, I could translate it quickly and do that. Will try to work with it some more.

Got my first repair person, who did not unplug unit and was knocked to floor by current, he got up and walked out the door, so calling for another worker to come up latter today.
    Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 02:07 AM
    Well nearly killing the one worker got it to work for a while, but htit went out completely two days ago. I thought it was the electronic control, since it did not make any noise, no click at all. They replaced it today ( after unplugging it it). Put in a new water supply line and a new gas line.

It is so quiet now, The unit sits on the wall above the kitchen sink, so quiet is a good thing.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 04:51 AM
    Glad you are all set here, Chuck! Also glad you weren't the one to get shocked! Thanks for posting the update.
    Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 04:57 AM
    Of course all current here is 220, the repair person had to borrow a couple of my tools,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heater issue [ 4 Answers ]

I recently replace my water heater with a tankless water heater. I purchase the Aquastar 250SX gas unit. The unit works great if I'm running hot water only. It will continuously give me hot water as long as I want it. However, when I want to reduce the tempurature by turning on the cold water,...

Tankless water heater versus regular water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know basic water heater tank maintenance

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Tankless Hot Water Heater [ 11 Answers ]

I'm considering building a house and have recently seen the tankless hot water heaters at Lowe's and such. Can anyone comment on personal experience on these and/or if they are worth the investment over your normal hot water tanks? Thanks...

View more questions Search