Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bethmclean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2012, 04:36 AM
    Furnace shutting off at set temp but doesn't always come back on
    Our furnace heats up to the set temp But about half the time doesn't start back up when the temp starts to drop. We replaced the thermostat last summer and last winter the furnace did this and the hvac guys checked the drainage. Of course it doesn't do this when the HVAC guy comes so he's got no way of seeing what it's doing. Any suggestions? When I shut it off atty the switch and back on the furnace will kick back on.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 05:52 AM
    Our furnace heats up to the set temp But about half the time doesn't start back up when the temp starts to drop. We replaced the thermostat last summer and last winter the furnace did this and the hvac guys checked the drainage. Of course it doesn't do this when the HVAC guy comes so he's got no way of seeing what it's doing. Any suggestions? When I shut it off atty the switch and back on the furnace will kick back on.

In answer to your NO model number,NO brand Name furnace. It is possible that you have a loose ground wire from the electric panel to the (as you call it) atty switch or from that switch to the connection on the furnace circuit board.Also check where ever the furnace is grounded itself. While you are checking the ground and have the equipment open you might as well check the neutral wire and hot leg (legs) since this furnace could be an electric furnace.

Sorry but with the limited info you offered it is the best I can do. Good luck with your repair.
    bethmclean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 04:33 AM
    Sorry! It's a trane 90 plus. No idea how old but the house was built in 93.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 06:42 PM
    The furnace will have a fault code on the control board when it has failed to start. Do not turn the power off to the system or turn your thermostat off(it will reset the control board) go check the control board for for faults. Lower door of the furnace should have a small glass window so you can count the blinks of the lights on the control board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My furnace is set at 70 and the temp drops to 64 before turning back on [ 2 Answers ]

My furnace is set at 70 but the temp. Drops to 64 before it turns back on. Not sure were to start. It has a white-rogers thermostst and it just started doing this

Why does my furnace start back up immediately after shutting down? [ 0 Answers ]

My reem criterion II heats up the house to whatever the thermostat is set at. The burner shuts down and the fan continues to cool down the furnace. It then shuts off. Immediately the furnace starts the cycle again. I have replaced the pressure diaphram with a new one. The hose looks fine and is...

I have a lennox whisper heat G20Q3/4E-100-7. Shutting off when reaching temp [ 1 Answers ]

It will run till it is at the set temp then it shuts down and has to be turned to the off position before being turned on again or it will not go. Im told this is a lock out what are possible issues

Carrier furnace turns off before target temp, then right back on [ 23 Answers ]

I have a approx. 6 year old Carrier 58STA110 natural gas furnace. The blower motor and circuit board was replaced last year. I have installed a new digital thermostat, and the problem is still happening. The filter is new. No return vents are blocked. There is no signal of an error on the...

My heater furnace blower comes back on after it reaches a set temp [ 3 Answers ]

My heater furnace blower comes back on after it reaches a set temp. In oither words after it gets to set temp it chuts off then a few minutes later it comes back on for a minute than chuts off again.

View more questions Search