Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shinra10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
    Should I move away?
    Hey All,

I recently graduated college this year and got a very awesome job doing graphic design / social media for an international technology company.

Best part is, I work from home. AKA: I can live anywhere I want.

I have had a long chain of unsuccessful flings/relationships in the past 4 years, I don't have a "close" group of friends. (I have lots of friends but most of them don't know the other ones, except for my college friends)

I've never been very close with my family (moved out at 16 and they got divorced when I was 15) but I had planned on fixing/developing relationships with them. I moved to the same city as them this year to fix things and I love them to pieces.

However I really don't feel a strong desire to stay here. I don't have a girl I like, and I don't have super close friends. The only thing that would make me stay is my family but I only see them once a week/every 2 weeks now that I moved into the same city as them.

I have a desire to move somewhere different because I want to experience things before I somehow get tied down, but I wouldn't know anyone where I went.

I was thinking *Bath, England (Dear GOD I love the accents)* or *Vancouver, BC, Canada*

Opinions?

I'm a 24 year old male and I'm feeling unsatisfied with my life currently. I want to explore and see new things, but I love my family and want to fix my relationships with them.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
    Where do you live now?

If you like Bath so much, go there.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 28, 2012, 09:18 PM
    I think if you have the opportunity, go for it as long as you can support yourself.

You see, not many people are given a chance to do something so drastic and exciting in their lives. If it doesn't work and you have to move back, at least you can say you've done it and you have experienced things many other people were too scared to experience.

I did something similar about 20 years ago by picking up everything I owned, packing it up into the back of a pickup truck and traveling to Alaska. I only stayed 3 years, but it was the experience of a lifetime and I would do it all over again if given a chance.
    Shinra10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
    I currently live in Southern Ontario.

Alaska sounds exciting!

How did you adapt to the change// Make friends?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 28, 2012, 09:29 PM
    Just as I always do! I'm very outgoing! I got a part time job as a waitress at a comedy club. Developed many long term relationships that way.

I don't regret leaving my family and friends at all for that short time. I did come back to the states as I had a daughter there and the cost of living was very expensive as well as the distance from family who would rarely see her. We are now celebrating her 19th birthday, but plan to return during our retirement.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
    You sound like you've already made your mind up,so I would follow your first instinct and go to Bath in England.

I live in England not far from Bath,I can tell you it is a lovely city.

Go for it... goodluck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 03:48 PM
    A person seldom gets second chances at adventure and change,

You never move to get away, but you move for a new chance.

I would say go for it, and not have regrets of choices not made latter in life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was asked verbally to move so a relative could move in. Relocation fees? [ 3 Answers ]

The next month after my landlady was upset and was rude to me because I did not pay the rent 3 days early, I dropped off my rent and was told to move in 30 days so a relative could move in. Since I had paid last month's rent (is that legal or should it be security?) he told me I could have 60 days....

My 1993 Mazda MVP will not move even in neutral shifter on column will move [ 0 Answers ]

The shifter on column will move but the car/van will not go into gear. Put car in neutral will not roll. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Is it a breach of lease if landlord can't move you in on move in date? [ 5 Answers ]

I signed a lease to move in on July 1st, and today, June 27th, he calls me and tells me I won't be able to move in until at least July 4th. I have already paid him the deposit, and can't stay at my current place past the first without paying an additional months rent. I also have items I purchased...

View more questions Search