Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suggi_82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Relocation expenses deduction
    Hi,

I moved from MA to CA for a new job in 2006. I was on H1 whole of 2006 and will be filing as a resident. My employer gave me 3000$ as relocation assistance, which is not shown on my W2. However on my salary slip it says I was given $5000 and after tax, I guess, it became $3000. Can I claim the tax I paid for this? My W2 income includes this though.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 11:24 PM
    You can claim some of the MOVING EXPENSES, but not the tax.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 12, 2011, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suggi_82 View Post
    Hi,

I moved from MA to CA for a new job in 2006. I was on H1 whole of 2006 and will be filing as a resident. My employer gave me 3000$ as relocation assistance, which is not shown on my W2. However on my salary slip it says I was given $5000 and after tax, I guess, it became $3000. Can I claim the tax i paid for this? My W2 income includes this though.
    You will claim the amount of tax withheld that is shown on your W-2. If it includes $2000 that was deducted from relocation assistance, yes you will claim it.
    Your employer did not report $3000 as income as your employer treated your relocation/moving expenses it as substantiated expenses under Accountable Plan. You will also not report this as income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-internship-relocation tax deduction [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, For FY05, I am on F1, student from India. Went for an internship (3months) from GA to CA. Came back to school. Internship W2 shows breakdown Of total wages with re-location re-imbursement. Can I take deductions on moving expenses? I know I will Have to file 1040NR instead of NR-EZ....

L1 relocation deduction [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have relocated to the USA on September on an L1 visa. My company has paid part of the relocation cost in a flat sum ($5000), but there were additional costs beyond this value that I covered myself (additional $3000 or so). I am not supposed to pay the income tax on the flat sum. I just...

Employment and Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

I worked in FL for 6 months last year while the family remained in MA. In December I left the job in FL for an opportunity in MA. We were in the process of relocating but my spouses situation with her employer changed and could no longer make the move. During this time I incurred significant...

F1+CPT+ Relocation expenses [ 1 Answers ]

HI Atlanta Tax Expert! I am a student (Indian nationality) on F1( less the 2 years) and I am going to wrk on CPT in San Diego from July till Dec and thereafter either on h1 or on OPT. I was wondering what will be the tax rate applicable to my relocation allowance? Also, what net tax rate...

Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My firm reimbursed $3000 of relocation expenses, but some of those included meals, househunting trip expenses etc, which are not tax-deductible under the rules I seem to be reading online. However on my w-2 in box 12, the amount is $3000. When I'm figuring out the excess of what I was reimbursed...

View more questions Search