Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RdK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 10:26 AM
    being sued by Law firm for Capital One Credit Card
    My credit card debt was accrued in Florida during divorce and I now live in Colorado. The decree state the x was to pay.
    I have found out they can still sue me.

I have experience representing myself pro se and I am not intimidated by attorneys or the Court system. I have filed motions and answers and have the formats available. I just don't know what to do to wear them down and go away... request a jury trial, depose capital One officer in Georgia.

The total debt with interest before legal fee is $2,600. You would think this is too small for a Denver Law firm when you live in Rifle some 2.5 hr drive away.

Are there any attorney with a strategy for me?

Thanks
    RdK
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Honestly the Catital one will just add on and add on legal fees that you have to pay if they win. So the attorneys in your area will be glad to do as much repsonse and as many filings as makes you happy.

And if you want to end up paying for the jury trial or for all that court expense, go ahead, you have every right to do that if you want.

Remember your agreement with them is that you will pay all legal expense in the collection process.

And in the end, if you legally owe the money they will get the judgement, it is really your choice if you want that to be 2600 or 30,000 by the time you are done.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2007, 10:37 AM
    The key here is whether the divorce decree is legally binding on them. To be honest I'm not sure of the answer. That is something you might simply ask an attorney about. If it is, then you will win. If it isn't then you will lose.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
    The divorce degree just orders the husband to pay the debt, it does not take away legal liablity of the other person who is on the debt.

The only thing the one injured party can do is take the other party to the divorce back to family court and sue them for comtempt of court and try to collect the money back from them.
    ** I know this one from first hand experience

So in the real sense of the word, the divorce order to make someone pay a debt, house, car, credit card has little value if the other party does not followt he court order, in another court ( It should, it should be binding on other courts) but it isn't
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 12, 2007, 11:14 AM
    The divorce decree that assigns certain debts to one part or the other is a court sanctioned settlement between you and your ex. The creditors did not take part in this settlement, and could care less who was awarde the debt. Since this debt was incurred by both of you, the creditor will pursue either or both of you. I agree with Chuck. You will lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued by credit card co. [ 35 Answers ]

I am being sued (I guess) by Capitol One. I was served a notice 3 nights ago, to appear on March 1 at 1:30 pm, no court room, just the main address. It says it is a mediation/pretrial conference, but it is confusing. The debt they are listing is a valid debt, the amount is questionable. I through...

Getting Sued By Credit Card Company [ 2 Answers ]

If my husband is getting sued by a credit card company, can they take our car if we need it for medical reasons on our daughter?

Sued Credit Card Debt [ 11 Answers ]

Hey I received I guess you would call it a credit card judgement for a debt I owe of $1700. Plus $ 750.00 Attorney fee for them , I guess... I have a 4 yr old, 5 month old, pregnant again with #3, and unemployed. Just recently got laid off from my previous job of 8 yrs. My husband is the only...

Being sued over an old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was served with papers via a Sherrif's deputy around 2 months ago. I answered the supeona and followed all of the proper channels notifying the bottom feeder collection attorney that bought the debt that the debt was incorrect, not mine, and that the statue of limitations had...

View more questions Search