Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renee31555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2012, 11:56 PM
    Should I homeschool my children
    I am considering homeschooling my 6th grade son. He started middle school this year and is having a horrible go of it. He is writing defecient and the 'extra time' they have allotted through an IEP has not remedied the situation; he's struggled with it since 1st grade. I let them hold him back in first grade hoping he would 'catch up' on his fine motor skills and pick up on writing well. He can read above his grade level; comprehension is great.
    I am so intimidated by the public school. I don't know how to say, 'I am removing my child and teaching him at home'. I've read the Missouri statutes and I'm still confused. I attend University here and my major is Education however, I only have 15 credit hours completed. I went back to school because of the struggles my son has faced. The Elementary teachers were wonderful and helped him a lot, but the middle school teachers are leaving him behind and treating him as the lazy kid that doesn't want to write neatly. It breaks my heart. He wants to please so desperatley and stresses out to the point of tears when it takes him five hours to finish a writing assignment. He makes A's in math and science, but the mechanics of writing still make things difficult as his penmanship is so bad. I think I could do better! I think I could give him remedial writing education. He was never taught phonics, in my elementary years, phonics was a staple. Praying I make the right decision about this and God intervenes. Kudos to all of you worrying about the real things in life and loving your kids. It's 2 am here. Been looking at this homeschooling stuff since 9.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 28, 2012, 05:18 AM
    There's no reason to be intimidated or to think they will be insulted by you homeschooling. They might be relieved, and it sounds like your son will benefit greatly. He can always go back if he needs the interaction with other kids his age. It's possible that he will shine in math and the sciences. Go for it! Every area of the US has homeschooling parent groups who will gladly help you and even sell you used books, or you can get them on eBay.

Try www.homeschoolinginmissouri.com/ if you haven't; I didn't actually read it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2012, 06:32 AM
    I don't see enough reason to switch to home school. . What I do see if a need for you to work more closely with your son and his teachers to SUPPLEMENT what the school.
    pepper81 Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Oct 29, 2012, 04:02 AM
    My son had bad writing skills so I went on the internet printed out writing worksheets and had him practice. I continued this until his writing improved and is good. If your child did not learn phonics well then you must teach him. You tube have ABC phonics songs, games and exercises that will help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 06:47 AM
    I am most likely the most dedicated and pro home school advocate on this site. I will agree, really not seeing it, Home school will take you full time, do you have that to do. But if he is just behind in one subject, writing, what is being done, is he having tutors after school, perhaps in classes after school. So why did you not teach him phonics years ago, if the grade school was so great, why did they not ( of course not all schools use it any longer)

Next has he been medically evaluated to know if there is a issue, I know several kids who have medical issues reading things backwards and they almost never learned to write.

If you want to home school, because you believe it is the best form of education, and if you can devote 8 or more hours a day to nothing but being his teacher, it is a great thing.
    If you have that ability.

Next if you have been trying to tutor him all these years, he is not going to magicly know and learn, if he is out of public school.

And this group is a must if you want to homeschool,

Many school districts will lie and/or try to require things not legal. They have legal links and members can be represented by their attorneys.

China seems to be blocking my access to their site, ( that is common) so I will give you the search for it.

Home School Legal Defense Association
    A non-profit advocacy organization established to defend and advance the constitutional right of parents to direct the education of their children and to protect...
    HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983 - Cached
    In Your State
    High School
    My State
    Shopping
    Home School Laws
    Join HSLDA
    You Can Homeschool
    Teaching My Kids
    More results from hslda.org »
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Have you met with the Resource teacher who is in charge of the IEP? If the teachers aren't being effective, you need to meet with them and let them know. Have you done that yet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I homeschool my children? [ 21 Answers ]

I have recently decided to be a stay at home mom and am now considering homeschooling my three children (3rd - 6th grade). I homeschooled last semester, but I was also attending college full time. As you could imagine, things didn't go quite well. I was struggling between home, school, and...

Can I still homeschool my child [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know when I can start haomeschooling my daughter she is 3 but, is already learning what you do in 1st grade. I use to be a aide in a dayschool( it's kind of like preschool but, a bit diffrent) but, when ca I start is it too early to start now? I'm have a mild form of desexlia(with both...

Want to homeschool my 14 year old [ 2 Answers ]

I plan on homeschooling my 14 year old who is in ninth grade he is doing terrible in school. I have tried to transfer but they won't. I live in Queens, NY. How do I go about doing this? I know I have to send a letter to the District informing them of my intentions. Then they send me a form to...

Homeschool boy confuses me [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am 12 years old, almost 13(but everyone says I am waaay more mature than 12), and my crush is 14. Okay, yes my problem is at least sort of typical, but I am desperate. First I’ll tell you a little about myself. I am a home-schooled Pastors kid, and he is home schooled too, and goes to my...

Am I the right "Type" to homeschool my children? [ 9 Answers ]

I am currently a stay at home mother with a 3 year-old daughter and a daughter who is in first grade in the public school system. I really want to try and homeschool, except for one thing, and that one thing is my concern that I would NEVER get a break from my kids. The funny thing is, is that I...

View more questions Search