Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Broomfield Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
    External CD drives
    My internal CD drive has stopped working. If I buy an external drive as a replacement, will this work if I have to use boot discs in the future? Will the PC automatically try to locate the disc in the internal drive or can I adapt it to look to the external drive? Will I have to have the internal drive repaired to be sure that I can use boot discs in the future if my PC fails?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 27, 2012, 04:51 AM
    It IS possible to boot from a USB source, so nothing to worry about.
    Mind you a replacement internal driver can be very cheap..
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Oct 28, 2012, 03:38 AM
    OEM manufacturers like HP Gateway and Dell, do not always make it easy for you to get inside and do things yourself, but it can be done. Aside from figuring out how to get the old one out and the new in, you have to consider form factor. Most drives these days are short and will fit in most cases but there are a few longer ones that might not fit. The upside is you can upgrade from a CD drive to a DVD burner and have much more functionality. If your nervous about going inside, find a place that will install what you buy for a fee. Big Box and Mom and Pop stores charge more for the same things you can buy on line, so being able to do it yourself saves bigtime. Be adventurous.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add another drive for external hard drives [ 1 Answers ]

After adding external hard drive no new drive appears

External hard drives [ 2 Answers ]

I have an external h d can I install a second operating system on it to try it out to see if I like it or not and be able to keep vista on my lap top at the same time?

External hard drives [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I have a problem with my external hard drive. When it loads it will be created as drive (G) and it should be drive (F) all of my other hard drives default to (F) when loaded except one it go to (G). The software I use to access the information on the hard drive creates links like (F)...

External Drives [ 6 Answers ]

I need extra space for my Family Tree Maker software. Am considering adding an external drive to handle all of my pictures and data. Has anyone done this and is it possible.

Recognize external hard drives. [ 8 Answers ]

OilMan6 :confused: 31 October 2005 0630 Hrs. SUBJECT: Both computers will not recognize three new external hard drives. How do I give these three hard drives the values of G:, H:, and I:?

View more questions Search