Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ragad3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Taxation of Rental Income for Indian F-1 Student
    Hi, I am an Indian Citizen and Resident, studying in the US with an F-1 Visa. I'm renting out my car through an online website, and I get 60% of the rental rate as income.

As long as this is reported to the IRS on a 1099-MISC in Box 1 (rental income), I think I am safe and this will not jeopardize my F-1 status.

However, when it comes to paying tax on this rental income, I would like to know if the 30% rate applies to me? I tried to read the India-US tax treaty and in one of the articles there is something to the effect of some types of income not allowed to be taxed by the US. Can someone that is more familiar with the treaty explain if this rental income would still be taxable?

I don't think this is rental income from a real property (immovable property), since my car is very much movable. I am aware of some clauses that deal with such income, but I guess my case is different?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
    The rental incomeis U.S.-sourced only if the car is in the United States.

If the rental income is.U.S.-sourced, you report it on Schedule E and pay the progressive tax rates that U.S. citizens pay by using Form 1040nr.

Oct 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    The rental incomeis U.S.-sourced only if the car is in the United States.

If the rental income is.U.S.-sourced, you report it on Schedule E and pay the progressive tax rates that U.S. citizens pay by using Form 1040nr.
    Yes, I agree that it is taxable in general. But I was wondering if any provision of the tax treaty between India and US provides exemptions for this.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
    No. Rental income in the U.S. is taxable under both treaty and U.S. tax law.

Oct 26, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    No. Rental income in the U.S. is taxable under both treaty and U.S. tax law.
    Oh, okay. Thank you for the clarification!
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International student, question on the taxation on the income in the internet [ 5 Answers ]

Dear experts, Let's say am a student on a student visa in US. I have an amateur website which generates some income since the times when I came from abroad. This website generates some modest income. As a person on a student visa, I am aware that I am not allowed to be self employed in US. (as...

Taxation of income of a Indian company in the hands of its shareholders in USA [ 1 Answers ]

Facts: There is an Indian Company which was formed in 1980s (probably 1983) from Indian funds and assets. At that time it could not remit its profits & sale proceeds This Company has income from running a Business Centre, dividend (from stocks listed in the Indian stock exchange & mutual funds -...

Query : Taxable Income : Change of visa J-1 to F-1 in 2009 (Indian student) [ 3 Answers ]

I am an Indian citizen and have been in USA on both J1 (Dec-08 to July 2009) and F-1 (Sept 2009-Present) status during the year 2009. I was paid by my University during both my tenures. I had a couple of queries in this regards : 1. Do I need to fill in two separate Tax Returns, one for my F-1...

Non Resident Indian- Taxation [ 2 Answers ]

As per te Income Tax Law; I am staying outside India for more than 182 days in a financial year. I am providing Software consultance outside india and receive consultancy fees which is realised as foreign remittences. I am not allowed to open a NRI Accounts as I am not employed outside india. I...

View more questions Search