Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2012, 07:46 AM
    My Friend Needs Your Help
    My name is Sharon . I need your help.

I need an attorney but don't know what kind to go to. I had and have Durable Power of Attorney, we tried to change his benifitierys on his life insurance policy on Friday but the lady at his company that handles that blew me off told me we could do it on line but by the time we tried 6 times and found there was no way to save the changes the 800 number was from 9:30 AM to 6 pm Eastern time and it was 6:30 pm ESt then he passed away on the Sunday. They say since I didn't /we get it changed before he died that I can't change it now. My DPOA says before and after his death and states that I can add or delete or change benificuaries on insurance policies and we tried to change it before he died. It's not right.

It was set up for 40% to go to his son and 40% to go to his daughter and at that time I was listed as friend then it on one page showed me as spouse and friend, we married June 7th, 2012, for 20%.($10,000 to me) He wished to change it to me 100% as primary and change them to contingent. Can you help me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2012, 07:57 AM
    Sorry no, they are right, it had to be changed before his death, your POA ended at his death and is no longer valid. This may have been his wishes, but it is too late now to change.

An attorney will merely cost you money and really not get anywhere. You needed to have gotten a form either printed online and/or from a local agent and filed or post marked prior to his death.

It will not be changed now, even if he had written it out on paper before, unless it was done formally on their paper work, it is not valid.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2012, 08:03 AM
    DPOA ends at death.

As far as I know, a life insurance policy names beneficiaries that can be changed only before death and only on their paperwork by the insured (no one else).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 26, 2012, 08:19 AM
    As far as I know, you couldn't have completed the change of beneficiaries either over the phone or online, which is why it wouldn't 'save' and why you got nowhere on the phone, because signatures are required. They might have wanted a notarized copy of the POA too. They aren't just going to make changes that easily, what with so much online fraud, and even off line fraud. So you were just too late.
    I went through something similar before my dad died, to the tune of about 30,000, on our deed to the house. It happens.
    Added to all that, his children might have sued, given how last second it was, claiming that he had no intention of changing the policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage son lets 19 yr. Old friend drive parents car and the friend wrecks it. [ 5 Answers ]

The 19 yr. old is licensed and has his own insurance. He is at fault in the wreck. One of the passengers in the other vehicle conveniently discovers neck pain when the police arrive. How much liability will the parents insurance company have toward vehicle repair and who is responsible for the...

My friend ed about my best friend I told my best friend and My friend found out [ 1 Answers ]

My friend wrote a letter to me saying why my best friend is not tlkin to her then she said that the only reason why my best friend is stuck to me is because she doesn't have any friends. I knew that my friend es about everybody even me... My best friend already knows what my friend says about her...

I fall in love with my best friend he still considers me just dear friend can I chang [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know if I can change the way he loves me , knowing that he always loves to talk with me Can this change? Can we become good couple? Thanks all...

View more questions Search