Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    air0mjb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2012, 02:44 PM
    Fan motor on HVAC will not turn off.
    The diagnostic light blinks 6 times since I replaced the circuit board that a HVAC tech said was bad. Apparently that was not the problem it still stays on. I have replaced the therostat with a new one. The T/S chart says it's a 115 VAC polarity problem or a grounding problem. How do I know? Nothing has changed with the plug for a ground. Does the thermostat have anything to do with the polarity of something? Mike
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
    The make and model of the furnace will be a big help. If a leg of power was reversed in the process of changing the control board or working on that code will show up. Is this a system that has two units twinned together?

Oct 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
    It is a Trane XR80. No this is a single unit. The fan ran before changing out the control board. It still runs after the board change so I am confident the board didn't have an effect on the fan problem. I think I have 2 different problems but I am not an HVAC tech. Thanks for helping so far. Mike
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by air0mjb View Post
    It is a Trane XR80. No this is a single unit. The fan ran before changing out the control board. It still runs after the board change so I am confident the board didn't have an effect on the fan problem. I think I have 2 different problems but I am not an HVAC tech. Thanks for helping so far. Mike
    Did you try to reverse polarity of the power going to the furnace to see if it gave the same code?

Trane XR80 furnace provides a LED on its integrated furnace control for quick diagnostic. Here is its diagnostic code:

LED Flash Error
    Flashing Slow Normal No Call for Heat
    Flashing Fast Normal Call for Heat
    Continuous On Replace Control
    Continuous Off Check Power
    2 Flashes External Lockout (Retries or Recycles Exceeded)
    3 Flashes Pressure Switch Error
    4 Flashes Open High Limit Device
    5 Flashes Flame Sensed when NO flame should be present
    6 Flashes 115 VAC power reversed polarity or poor grounding
    7 Flashes Gas Valve circuit Error
    8 Flashes Low Frame sense Signal
    9 Flashes Check Ignitor

Oct 27, 2012, 02:48 AM
    I have the diagnostic chart. The unit is 4 years old and was running fine until the fan kept running. If the circuit board is fine and now the light blinks 6 times why would changing the leads on the plug fix the problem? I didn't touch anything with that. What ground are they talking about? Would it be in the power cord. I have a 1951 house and there is no grounds through the outlets. It's a 2 wire system, but it was hooked up like that for 4 years with no problems so how could it be a grounding problem?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HVAC Condenser motor replacement [ 0 Answers ]

I have an Amana condenser unit RHE30A29 that the fan motor went bad. I was told an A O Smith 629A was the replacement since GE does not make the original motor any more. I would like to where the wires go to.

Carrier hvac fan motor is intermittent [ 0 Answers ]

I have a HVAC carrier model 38cks. I have two of these units side by side, one for 1st floor, the other for the 2nd floor. I had to change the capacitor on the same one a year ago… the top of the capacitor was expanded outward, like a can of soda that was about to explode. Unit has worked...

How do I fix HVAC where the fan will not turn off? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a rheem hvac with a fan that will not turn off unless I unplug the 110 from the outlet. I have varified that the problem is not in the thermostat.

HVAC blower motor will not turn off [ 6 Answers ]

Carrier Model 58ES080-30 HVAC blower motor will not turn off. Help?

Hvac blower motor not working [ 2 Answers ]

HVAC blower motor does not come on in either the heat mode, a/c mode. Or fan only mode. However, it comes on in emergency heat mode. Any ideas what might be wrong?

View more questions Search