Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katiekt1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Broke my finger at home while employed can I qualify for temporary disabilty ?
    Boss will not fire me or lay me off because he doesn't. Want to pay into unemployment. I broke my own finger on accident and need a cast for it to heal. What are my rights what can I do
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
    I see no reason to get disability. Why can't you work with a broken finger, I worked with a broken leg.

You said you broke it at home ? Do you work from home ? The business only pays for medical costs if you broke it at work and/or doing work for them at another location.

Also seldom is a finger cast, normally it is put into a plastic guard and taped, or just taped to another finger at times.

But I see no reason to get disability. You just keep working.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 05:11 PM
    What is your job that you can't work with a broken finger? Unless you're a surgeon, I don't see why you can't continue to work while your finger heals. I've broken a finger too, and continued working. At the time I was a secretary, and spent most of my days typing. I'm a 10 finger typist, and having a broken finger did slow me down, but I was still able to do my job.

Your rights are to pay for your medical bills and than decide if you want to continue working or not. If you want the job than go back to work. A broken finger isn't a good enough reason to stay home collecting unemployment.
    daega01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 12:17 PM
    Wow some people are ignorant. I came across this post due to a surgery on my finger that will be putting it out of service for 3 months to heal. I work manual labour building stages for a living for concerts at my local arena. I feel that I should qualify for unemployment or some sort of help during the healing period because even my doctor said I have a 15lbs weight limit with the hand at the moment. I have a large cell tumor in my finger that is pressing against the bone and causes severe pain. My doctor already gave me the stop work order when I damaged by finger while lifting 25lbs. But as has been stated, I shouldn't be allowed to receive help?? I am forced out of work due to an injury, and yes while being Canadian I luck out with free health care but shouldn't a person in that situation be allowed help? Im not a lazy man by any means, I've been working my butt off since I turned 16, But I've been forced not to be allowed to work in my profession. I am not allowed to lift any weight with my dominant hand in a field that required constant mobility with my hands and lifting heavy objects. As it stands I'm stuck looking for anything to help get by as my work has no light duties I could preform, and I still must wait another 2 months for surgery than at least another month after that to be able to use that hand again. So I must make very clear that there is times when having a cast on your finger means you can't work, physical labour is the best example, we all can't sit in a wheelchair at a desk with a broken leg all day.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daega01 View Post
    wow some people are ignorant. I came across this post due to a surgery on my finger that will be putting it out of service for 3 months to heal. I work manual labour building stages for a living for concerts at my local arena. I feel that I should qualify for unemployment or some sort of help during the healing period because even my doctor said i have a 15lbs weight limit with the hand at the moment. I have a large cell tumor in my finger that is pressing against the bone and causes severe pain. My doctor already gave me the stop work order when i damaged by finger while lifting 25lbs. But as has been stated, i shouldn't be allowed to receive help???? I am forced out of work due to an injury, and yes while being Canadian i luck out with free health care but shouldn't a person in that situation be allowed help?? Im not a lazy man by any means, ive been working my butt off since i turned 16, But ive been forced not to be allowed to work in my profession. I am not allowed to lift any weight with my dominant hand in a field that required constant mobility with my hands and lifting heavy objects. As it stands im stuck looking for anything to help get by as my work has no light duties i could preform, and i still must wait another 2 months for surgery than at least another month after that to be able to use that hand again. So i must make very clear that there is times when having a cast on your finger means you can't work, physical labour is the best example, we all can't sit in a wheelchair at a desk with a broken leg all day.
    Did you read the question that was posted?

No where in that question did it state what job the poster has, or what the job entails. No where did it state surgery.

I agree that there are jobs where a broken finger will mean that you can't work. But we base our answers on what's posted. If the OP (original poster) didn't provide enough information to give an answer, he/she gets what he/she gets based on what he/she writes.

Your situation is not the OP's. That's a mistake a lot of people make, making their situation that of the posters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finger nail broke off [ 19 Answers ]

OK I was putting clothes in the dryer when I sliped and my fake fingernail got in between the frame of the door and it broke my real nail but the fake is still on. I don't know if I should try and take off the fake nail or leave it on until my real nail starts growing back. Please I need help it...

F1 student employed in home country but in the US now [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the US for a research stay for more than 183 days with a F1 student visa. Am I a resident alien now? I am not getting any money from the US university here and I do not work here, but I do have a contract with my home university and get a monthly salary from them. Since I am not...

First time self employed home buyer ( Ha I KNOW!) [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, long story short... 25 years old, self employed filling second year w2s for the business this week. Anyhow since the business is new profits are low. Although I can afford the mortgage for which I am applying... I am applying with my girlfriend, who's credit is decent about 680 or so.....

Tax break for home office while employed by company? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a virtual worker, telecommuter, whatever you want to call it, for a large company that I do not own. Can I take a home-office deduction as if I were self-employed for the part of my apartment that I use exclusively for my office space?

Will we qualify for our first home with low credit score? [ 4 Answers ]

Recently my husband became an independent contractor for his previous employer and is making double what he used to make. We have been saving up money for our first home and decided that now maybe now is the time. We are nervous because 5 years ago we were put through two lay-offs back to back...

View more questions Search