Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becky77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
    When did they stop teaching mc before ma
    When did they stop teaching to file "Mc" before "Ma"? I see the rules now to treat "Mc" the same as "Mac", which would mean that "Ma" would come before "Mc". But when did this change and why?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 01:17 PM
    Who's the "they" you are referring to? I believe it's always been the case that "Mc" is treated as if it was "Mac," and both are alphabetized as "Mac." At least that's what I was taught way back in the 60's. Hence the name "Maas" comes before "McDougal", which comes before "MacKinley," which comes before "Marvin." But I suspect that different organizations have different rules - the phone compamy for example has some interesting rules about alphabetinzing personal names versus corporate names.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
    Blame the advent of computers --

M', Mc and Mac

Historically, the prefixes Mc and M' in Irish and Scottish surnames were taken to be abbreviations for Mac, and alphabetized as if they were spelled out as Mac in full. Thus McKinley might be listed before Mackintosh (as it would be if it had been spelled out as "MacKinley"). Since the advent of computer-sorted lists, this type of alphabetization is less frequently encountered, though it is still used in British phone books.

Alphabetical order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 02:03 PM
    The OP is suggesting that MacKinley ought to come before Maas. I was never taught that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    The OP is suggesting that MacKinley ought to come before Maas. I was never taught that.
    I must be older than you. In grade school, I was taught Mac before Mc. Before that Mac/Mc was filed first before Maa-. Now, Mac = Mc and all Macs are filed under Mc.

In Libraryland, we had to periodically re-alphabetize our paper catalog cards as a new edition of the AACR came out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Okay.. Teaching 'down' [ 18 Answers ]

I've decided that I want my dog to finally learn down. He has easily learned most commands, but this one he just can NOT get. I've tried before and just gotten frustrated. I need alternate ways of teaching him this command. People tell me to use a treat, and lower it to the ground, he will...

Could you teaching me what is next ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have flow 4gal/min, area 0.7858sqin what is velocity in ft/sec? V= Q/A = (4gal/min) /0.7854sqin = V =...

Can I stop him from teaching my kids that [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 31 year old mother of 3 boys. My husband told me back in April, he wanted a divorce. He said all we did was fight, (which we didn't), I spent all his money, and I didn't clean the house. I was devastated. We rarely had problems. But I moved out with my 3 kids. I tried to change everything he...

Teaching in the USA [ 2 Answers ]

Hi gyus, I am a qualified Teacher of Secondary Mathematics in the UK would I be able to teach in the USA and how do I do it. Many thanks Louay

Teaching isn't for me, now what? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This is my 2nd year teaching and I'm miserable. I love "teaching," but feel I'm unable to do that because of all of the politics involved. I have a BA in Elementary Education from a N.C. university and need some direction towards another career path. I have only 5 months of this school...

View more questions Search