Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ottootto75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Ask a tattoo artist a question
    I will soon be getting a sleeve tattoo done and wanted to know, is it reasonable to expect the artist to have something drawn up before the appointment? I did my research and specifically chose this tattooist because of his portfolio, recommendations and his speciality in the style that I want. I made my appointment 2 months in advance but forgot to discuss the detail of previewing the work before my first session. I have now made a second appointment 5 days before so I can see it (although my faith in the receptionist isn't strong that he will get the message as to why I'm there), but am hearing from a few sources that I shouldn't "expect too much" and he may not draw anything until the day of my first session. Is having the artwork done before the appointment expecting too much? Or should I expect to sit for an hour or two waiting for him to draw the stencil of my sleeve the day of the first session?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
    I think you needed to ask lots more questions before actually making an appointment.
    It's clear that you have an idea of what you want the tattoo artist to draw but you have not given him any information,therefore how will he know until your first appointment.
    You say you have made a pre-appointment which I assume is when you will tell the artist exactly what you require him/her to do... good idea.
    Try and get across exactly what you want,if necessary try and do a rough sketch yourself or get a friend who perhaps can draw a little better than you if you don't feel confident ,at least then you can present this to the artist on the day,that way he will have an idea of a visual picture of what you require.
    If you have a photo of what you want, that's even better.

Be absolutely 100% certain that what he shows you before he starts,is exactly what you want... remembering it's for life.
    ottootto75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
    Thank you for your response. I probably should have been more clear. When I made my original appointment, it was during a face to face consultation with the artist. In that time we discussed concept, I provided numerous images and both had a clear understanding of what the tattoo was going to be. This now pre-appointment that is days before the first session is to just see the artwork, if it's even created. I am fully confident in his work, but fear that the face of the woman won't be quite right or the interaction of the characters may need to be adjusted. I just wanted to know if most artists draw up such a big piece before hand, or should I expect to be waiting for him to create everything in my first session.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask a tattoo artist [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I want to get a tattoo and I know exactly what I want to get.. I'm wondering how I could explain to the tattoo artist easily... and am hoping that it won't look that tacky.. u know what I mean.. I want a tiger tattoo but not the face or paws.. just the fur.. It would start from my upper...

Ask a tattoo artist? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 16 and am getting a tattoo of a triangle, no bigger than an aus 5 cent coin. I want it right under my breast like where the 'way' part is here but I am scared that if my breasts grow more or if I get pregnant later in life it may stretch? It would only be a tiny tattoo but I don't want to...

Any Tattoo Artist's? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey , I was wondering if I could talk to some tattoo artist's , I'm 15 and will be going to college next year but I would just like some advice. I want to be a tattoo artist and I am already a good artist and I would like to study art but , I would like advice on anything else that I should study? ...

How do you become a tattoo artist? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you become a tattoo artist please let me know if you know anything?:D

Want to become a tattoo artist [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I would really appreciate it if someone could give me any advice at all? Im at a point in my life where I am desperate to concentrate on a career and I couldn't be more enthusiastic about becoming a tattoo artist! I have been interested in art all my life and I am not to modest to...

View more questions Search