Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LOUIE Louie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Oregon Traffic ticket defense caused by an auto mechanical problem
    I received a speeding ticket in Oregon that was caused by a Known problem to my vehicle-Sudden acceleration-I have appealed my original judges decision. Are there any
    Authorities that I can use or sight in the brief that helps my defense i.e. that I was not the cause of the acceleration but the failure by the automobile was the cause of speeding. I have a mechanic who diagnosed the problem the day of the ticket and who failed to fix the issue but the next day he replaced everything and thus fixed the sudden acceleration problem, he has written 2 affidavids and showed his findings in writing with canceled checks and repair bills. I need to find some authority for the brief HELP..
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 23, 2012, 09:00 PM
    You don't need to cite "authorities". The mechanic's testimony consistent with his affidavits should be sufficient, along with your testimony of what happened. I say the mechanic's testimony because, strictly speaking, at trial affidavits are not admissable; they are hearsay.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 23, 2012, 09:36 PM
    If it's a known problem, hasn't there been a recall, and why aren't you suing the manufacturer? If it's a known problem, haven't you searched online for 'sudden acceleration of 2007 Jaguar XKE' or whatever your car is? I don't get why you are asking this and not even stating that information.

Also, do you really have a case for an appeal based on how you were caught speeding? If you were followed for more than a minute or waved over on the highway by radar, claiming sudden acceleration isn't going to fly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
    You will bring in all the documents from manufactor showing the issue, and the recall on it.
    The mechanic who did this will have to appear in court and testify in person about what caused this and what his repair was.

To be honest, I doubt the judge will believe it, and you are going to spend 3 or 4 times as much in paying the mechanic as you would just paying the speeding ticket.

At the end of the day you can see the speedometer and know where the brake is.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
    If it was a "known problem" there must have been a recall ordered by NHTSA.
    Dealers normally do recall fixes. If I were the judge, I would ask how you were able to stop when pulled over by an officer. In most of the serious cases of unintended acceleration claims I have read about, drivers have claimed that brakes will not stop the vehicle and even shifting to neutral and/or attempting to turn off the ignition do not work. Was it a floormat problem jamming the accelerator or did the mechanic find electronic issues?
    If there is no record of a recall for your particular vehicle, have you reported the incident to the NHTSA and what was their reply?
    If there was a recall, how promptly did you take your vehicle in for repairs?
    Did the recall notice advise you not to drive the car other than to the dealer for repairs covered by the recall?
    Unless it was a very recent recall, or it was an unknown problem reported to NHTSA which you can document to the court, you are unlikely to be successful in your appeal, in my humble opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Traffic Ticket [ 5 Answers ]

I received a parking ticket and am fighting it. I sent in photos and Explanation and am waiting for a reply. Today I get a letter saying I have to pay the ticket or get another $10.00 added on. How can I pay for it when I'm claiming not guilty.

Traffic ticket in IL [ 4 Answers ]

Guity as sin and I know it but this is my first speeding ticket in 40 years. How does one go about getting court supervision in Illinois? I know you still pay the fine but do you go to court and plead guilty and ask for supervision or what?

Traffic ticket [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need advice on how to write a letter requesting discovery due to a traffic accident. I was the only one involved and court is coming up in 2 weeks. I just need to know how to word it. Any advice?

Non traffic ticket [ 3 Answers ]

I rented a car and I got a ticket... the problem is I was not able to pay the ticket and now its way past due.. I was informed that dmv will send letter to the rental company and the rental company will charge this ticket from the credit card that I used and if it declined then they will send the...

Traffic Ticket [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,this question involves getting a speeding ticket,and when the officer drove off he did not ask me to sign the ticket,is this ticket a vaiid ticket now,as I have the green copy with out my signauteur on,so there will not be a signature on the white copy,I live in the state of Washington,thank,s

View more questions Search