Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spydie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2012, 11:49 AM
    Sudden drug-induced deafness
    My 10 year-0ld male Boston terrier developed an eye infection. The local vet put him on Tobramycin (a drug known to cause sudden deafness in dogs). In a couple weeks he was stone deaf. Is there any treatment to bring back some of his hearing?
    querize Posts: 10, Reputation: -1

Dec 29, 2012, 04:00 AM
    No there isn't, since he's old.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2012, 06:43 AM
    Deafness caused by these types of drugs is usually irreversible. Very rarely it will resolve on it's own. Certain patients are susceptible to becoming deaf with these medications but there is no way to test for it.
    Thankfully, living with a deaf dog is not very difficult, despite what a lot of people think. Here is a nice article about it, and you can talk to your vet further as well: Living with an Elderly Deaf Dog
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by querize View Post
    No there isn't, since he's old.
    Next time do some research before you reply. Your answer is not appropriate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a really bad headache from drug induced lupus and my body is all sore. [ 1 Answers ]

Got diagnosed with drug induced lupus 3 weeks ago, and I feel very shaky and have a severe headache

Do you have the right to be induced? [ 2 Answers ]

I've tried everything that it say to do online to go in labor and I don't get any sleep at night because I'm having contractions 2 min apart and they last till like 11 the next morning and I don't get no sleep and have to get up tih a 2 year old in the morning so I can't take a nap and have really...

I'm being induced! [ 4 Answers ]

I went to the docs on Wednesday and we scheduled an induction for thrusday... does anybody know step by step what they will do. I never had a planned induction... im getting nervoius!:(

Kidney disease and deafness [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me if a parent has kidney failure and kidney disease if a child is conceived could that child be born deaf. My husband died of kidney failure and was 100% disabled because of operations done wrong. He died in VA hospital. My son is deaf and he has it so hard to find work. ...

View more questions Search