Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EiMaHa Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2007, 08:24 PM
    L-1 Visa Married to US Citizen
    My spouse entered the US 10/24/05 as a L-1 Visa holder (filed 1040NR for 2005) and having remained in the US since then, we were married 11/1/06. I am a US born citizen with a dependent child - my spouse has no income outside of the US at this time.

Can we file our taxes on form 1040 Married Filing Jointly and claim all of what have been 'normal' deductions for me in the past? [ie. Mortgage interest, dependents (I do not work), etc.]

Looking at Pub. 519 I think we can file a 1040 MFJ along with a statement stating that he is choosing to be taxed as a resident. I am looking for confirmation that I am correct in this understanding. :confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Yes, you can file Form 1040, online if you want.

Your spouse qualifies to file as a resident alien, so NO STATEMENT is required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married to US citizen [ 3 Answers ]

I have unusual case. Currently I am: 1. Under deportation proceeding 2. Married to US citizen 3. Have an approved I-130 4. Have sent an I-485 change of status along with I-765 (work permit) 5. Have done fingerprinting for work permit. 6. Have filed for termination of deportation...

US Citizen getting married to Colombian [ 2 Answers ]

Helllllooooooooo Help... I am a born US citizen with now dual nationality in colombia. I want to marry my girlfriend that I have been with for 2 years. We are both 25 with no kids, never been married. What are the steps I should take. I have already visited the INS website. But I want step by...

Taxes-F1 Student married to a US Citizen [ 4 Answers ]

Dear experts, I have a very secific question regarding my F-1 visa status and my taxes. I came here in 2003 on an F1 visa and got married to a US citizen in 2005.We are both NY residents through the whole 2003-2007 year period. I am still on my F1 status , even though we intend to file the...

American citizen want's to get married [ 2 Answers ]

I'm an American citizen and my soon to be wife are trying to get married, she was born in Mexico and is not a citizen of the U.S. How do I go about getting married and her becoming a legal U.S. citizen?

Married to an US citizen - How do I become a citizen myself [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts: I married a US citizen, and I want to become a US citizen myself. We both don't live in the US at the moment and are not planning on living there either. Is that possible? What do I have to do and where can I find information about this? Thanks so much! Kiesel

View more questions Search