Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajdoubts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Tax Return - H1B & H4 Dependents
    Hi,

I am filing my 2006 taxes and wanted to know if my wife and child who have not yet come to US can be claimed in my tax return?

They are planning to come in May 2007... can I apply for postponement and then file the return later with them as dependents?

Please reply fast...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Raj
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Raj:

You can file jointly with your wife if you both choose to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2006.

With this choice, your child is also considered to be a resident alien as well, so you can claim him on your tax return as a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax return. I am on H1B and My wife in India [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in USA for the full tax year 2006. My wife is in India and can't come here before April 15 which is the last day of filing Federal tax return(May be she will not join me in another 7-8 months). What will be the status of my tax return? What is the process to claim the tax...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents). Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids). I received my...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

Tax Return NY State J1 to H1B. Resident or not? [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005 I worked for the same company. As an intern (J1) from January 1st 2005 to June the 15th As an Employee (H1B) from November 6th to December 31st 2005 I was back in France between September 9th to November 6th to get my H1B Visa. Should I file my tax as a resident or an Non...

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search