Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    piripitsis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
    Lending Money to a friend
    Hello,

I'll be lending money to family/friend and I'm not sure if the money that will get on interest will be taxed. Also does it make a difference in taxes if the interest is 1%, 5% or 10%?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
    You are supposed to declare the interest as income, and he can deduct the interest as expense.
    What is the amount of the principal being loaned, and for how long, and is it family or friend? The IRS has a minimum rate for family loans that varies monthly and depends on the term.
    Are you two clear on the arrangement about declaring/deduction interest?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
    THEY will not get interest. Interest is paid to the lender not the borrower. And yes, you will need to declare the interest as income.

No it doesn't matter what interest rate you charge. But the amount of taxes will differ on the amount of income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
    Actually, when you lend money to family, the rate DOES matter, because the IRS expects you to charge the same rate you would charge a perfect stranger. If you do not, and the IRS finds out about it, the IRS could "impute" (which means add on) the extra market rate interest as income on your tax return.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 21, 2012, 05:08 PM
    I started to mention that but wasn't sure it was on all family loans. On the other hand, market rates are very low now, the IRS can tell you what you should charge.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 22, 2012, 06:21 AM
    Be sure to draw up a written loan agreement that specifies the rate of interest and the terms for repayment (monthly, quraterly, annual payments?), including the date when final payment is due. Otherwise the loan may be considered a gift rather than a loan.

Just to to correct joypulv's comment - the friend can not deduct the interest paid. The only interest payments that are deductible are mortgages and certain home equity loans, and the OP makes no mention of this being a mortgage loan.

MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Oct 22, 2012, 07:09 AM
    It could possibly fall in the investment interest category, but that is not mentioned either.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 22, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MLSNC View Post
    It could possibly fall in the investment interest category, but that is not mentioned either.
    Yes, that's true, thanks for catching that. I guess I should have stated that it's not deductible if it's a personal loan that is not qualified home mortgage interest, which is what I assumed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are there taxes involved when lending $30,000+ to a friend? [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on lending a friend $30,000 (possibly a little more) for 4 months. He will then give me back that same amount of money. I am not looking to get any interest from him, and he is not looking to make any profits from the money I loan him. This is simply a favor of loaning him...

Brother lending money to sister/brother-in-law. How do we set up the mortgage? [ 9 Answers ]

My son is going to lend money to my daughter and her husband as a mortgage (they will use it to pay off existing mortgage). What documents do we need to create? I'm assuming some sort of mortgage agreement. Do we need to file these documents somewhere to make the mortgage legal? We live in PA,...

Lending money to my daughter for house purchase [ 4 Answers ]

I want to support my 23 yr old daughter in buying a property with her friend. She earns a very low wage qnd does not have agod credit record. I am giving her £20,000 and I want to support her in borrowing a further £30,000. I am willing to borrow the extra on my mortgage. How do I make sure that...

Are there any tax implications on lending money to a friend? [ 16 Answers ]

I had lent $8,000 to a close friend last year and he now wants to pay me back. There was no loan agreement drawn up. I had directly paid for his purchase using a check drawn from my account. And now, he would be returning back that amount to me by a check drawn from his account. Do I/he have any...

Investing in a Corporation without lending money? [ 1 Answers ]

The questions basically asks if it is possible for an individual to save and invest in a corporation without lending money to it or purchasing additional shares? I would assume there would be no way of investing in a company if you don't have anything TO invest? SO how would not lending money...

View more questions Search