Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    droop65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
    Beneficiary 401k disbursment and state inheritance taxes
    My father passed away recently... he lived in Pennsylvania and so do I. is the beneficiary dibursement liable to state inheritance taxes as well and income taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
    There are NO income taxes on inheritances at either the federal or state level.

There IS a Pennsylvania inheritance tax. I believe your tax rate will be 4.5%. See link below:

Inheritance Tax
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Oct 21, 2012, 07:15 PM
    I may be a little confused on this question, but if you receive money out of your father's 401(k) I believe it will be subject to federal income tax. If you have not taken any action, that is the money is still in the 401(k), you may want to consult with a professional because you have several options available to you. If you have already received the money you are going to get a 1099 at the end of the year.

If the estate is the beneficiary and distributing the funds through the estate, then the estate should get the 1099 and pay the taxes. The distribution would then be taxable to the estate and be tax-free to you, but the distribution to you could be net of the taxes.

Do not know about Pennsylvania so I will have to defer on that.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 21, 2012, 07:37 PM
    MLSNC:

Good catch; the wording of the post would indicate that it is a 401(k) or IRA disbursement.

I endorse MLSNC's advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on inheritance apply to decedent's state law or beneficiary's state law [ 1 Answers ]

I have received several distribution's from my father's estate - life insurance, my share of an annuity, my share of sale of a vehicle and other equipment, and my share of a CD rolled over into the estate account. Since my father died in Kentucky, and I live in Iowa, which states's laws apply when...

401K disbursment at 59 1/2 years old [ 1 Answers ]

How much can you begin to withdraw from a 401K retirement profitsharing plan from work, at 59 1/2 years. Can you with draw all the funds. Can you only withdraw a certain percentage. Is there a penalty?

401k beneficiary [ 2 Answers ]

I was a beneficiary on a 401k, do I need to claim that on my taxes?

Non spouse beneficiary of 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am the beneficiary of my fathers 401k. I am told there is something called a qualified disclaimer that I can do so that the 401k can be put in the estate account and split with my siblings, is there such a disclaimer and how would I go about doing this? If I do this will I be responsible for...

View more questions Search