Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zarkona Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 06:02 PM
    My furnace burner keeps blowing itself out.
    The furnace doesn't use a pilot light. Its electric ignition. It lights a temporary pilot light until the burners like. This is to help save gas and be more efficient. The problem is that once the burner lights, it will burn for a few seconds then blow out real fast like there is a gush of gas or air blowing it out. I know its not air coming down the ventilation because I tried it even on a day with absolutely no wind. I know quite a bit about HVAC work. I'm a jack of all trades myself and have spent a lot of time in college taking various forms of construction and maintenance and HVAC was part of the curriculum. Even with what I know this has me stumped. It couldn't be the thermocouple or points could it? Could it just need cleaned perhaps? Could the blower be pushing too much air and its getting into the burn box instead of just flowing through the heat exchanger? I really need some help figuring this one out. The answer is likely right in front of me but I just can't see it at this point. Please advise me. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
    If the flame is going out before the blower kicks on it sounds like you have a restricted or blocked heat exchanger or vent pipe. If it goes out as soon as the blower kicks on you have a hole in the heat exchanger. Each is a very dangerous problem. What is the make and model? If it's a mobile home unit the fresh air vent could be restricted also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Furnace.Burner goes out before fan comes on [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Miller oil furnace Model MSBA-066ABFO-05 that fires up and then shuts down because the fan takes to long to turn on. When this happens the reset trips on the controlor. The fan comes on shortly after the limit trips. When the fan is running if I push the reset the burner fires...

Furnace burner [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings,I have a tempstar furnace model ntc6075fba1,s/n l984128725, the pilot lights, then the blower comes on but the burner does not come on, then when the thermostat is turned down the blower continues to run.please inform me of the problem.Thank you, Albert.

Oil Burner Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

The problem goes like this. Thermostat calls for heat, burner starts and runs for a minute or so and shuts off. After burner shuts off, the blower starts and the burner starts again until the thermostat reaches temp and the burner shuts off blower contiues to run until the low temp limit is...

View more questions Search