Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leeaross Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
    24volt transformer blows
    When ever I set the thermostat to heat or cool the transformer blows. I have installed a 2a fuse in line to protect the transformer after 2 cooked . I can switch on the fan and it works until I call for heating / cooling then everything quits. What would be the possible things to check?
    Thanks for any help.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Do you have a heat pump or gas furnace? A 2 amp fuse may be a little low. Most systems will use a 3 or 5 amp for protection. If you have a heat pump you need to check the out side unit for low voltage shorts. (Pressure switches and defrost thermostat.)
    leeaross Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2012, 04:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top View Post
    Do you have a heat pump or gas furnace? A 2 amp fuse may be a little low. Most systems will use a 3 or 5 amp for protection. If you have a heat pump you need to check the out side unit for low voltage shorts. (Pressure switches and defrost thermostat.)
    It is a heat pump with a gas furnace. I will get some heaver fuses and check for shorts outside. I will post the results.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to wire a 24volt blower fan to run continuiously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 24volt blower that I want to use as a fan. Other than a 120v to 24v transformer and a switch is there anything else that I would need?

Wiring 24volt transformer in ac air handler [ 2 Answers ]

I need instructions how to install 24 volt transformer in air handler

LED Lights delay and transformer blows [ 2 Answers ]

I have a light circuit with 6 x 3W LED lights (all the same) on it and 1 transformer per pair of lights. When I switch them on there is a slight delay of about 1/10th of a second before the last 2 lights come on. Not a problem in itself, however, the transformer on these last 2 lights has blown...

Turning on AC blows control board fuse and 24v transformer [ 15 Answers ]

I read https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/c-keeps-blowing-fuse-95884.html which was very informative. My issue is with a Carrier Weathermaster 8000 furnace and York AC. The heat works fine, the fan only works fine, I turn on the AC and the LED blinks code 34. I replace the...

24volt control for trane a/c [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a house (renting) and noticed the 24volt wiring for the trane a/c is not wired up. Would anyone know the correct terminals to connect the wires, red, white and green? I am assuming the red may go to the Y terminal and the white to the O, is green the ground? Or do I have that...

View more questions Search