Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdesalvo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Which form with H1B visa?
    HI,

I am living and working in NYC since October 2005 with an H1B visa.
    Last year I have filled form 1040EZ but I have now realized now that I should use 1040NR as non-resident alien.
    What are the differences between the 2 forms (besides interest/dividends)?
    I did not receive any notice about sending the wrong form last year.

Can you confirm that I must use 1040NR for federal taxes and IT-201 for NY state taxes?

Thanks in advance for your help

Paolo
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Yes, you should have filed either Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ for 2005. The IRS may or may not catch it (they will not start reviewing 2005 returns for another three months), but you WANT to fix it as it may be an issue if you apply for a green card down the line.

Tax-wise, you would probably owe some taxes as you cannot claim the standard deduction. However, living in NYC, you also paid rather high state and city income taxes, so the itemized deduction may have exceeded the $5,000 standard deduction. If so, then you would owe ZERO additional taxes.
    pdesalvo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Thanks very much for your confirmation, I have already prepared the 1040 for 2006 but I am going to download 1040NR with the instructions and will fill it next weekend.
    Do you mean I have less deduction as non-resident alien?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 11:28 PM
    You probably will have less deductions as a non-resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F1 visa be transferred to H1B visa with out joining OPT program? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Currently I am MSC student on F1 visa currently authorized to work .I have been working as a software engineer,network engineer and web developer for the last six years . I am confused about the conversion of F1 to H1B Visa status. Can I Change my F1 visa to H1B visa with out joining the OPT...

H1b visa first year ->tax form [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Atlanta Tax Expert: It's nice of you helping so many people on the Ask Me web. I also have something needing your answer I'm single, holding H1B visa. I came from China on Sep14th,2006. According to the treaty between U.S and China governments, my tax was waived last year ,however the...

J1 visa- taxes- which form to use? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a J1 - visa holder. This is my second consecutive years of my saty in USA. I am exempt from the taxes for the first two years of my stay here on J1-status. But if I stay here for more than two years, then I will have to pay all the taxes right from the first year retro acitively and...

H1B tax form [ 4 Answers ]

January 2005, my H1B was approved and worked for 8 month. Thereafter, I got displaced due to hurricane Katrina and relocated. I transferred my H1B to new employer in a different state. Worked for new employer for 2 month. I've been residing in the US since July 2001. Traveled out of the us twice, 2...

L-1 Visa Tax form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All I am from India and I recently started working for a company on L-1( Intra company exchange visa). My date of joining was 13th December, and my L-1 got approved on 5th December 2005. I am not sure which form should I file, or Should I even file taxes as I have received only one pay...

View more questions Search