Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljcj29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Facelift for Fireplace Brick
    Hi All,
    Our fireplace is out dated and we want to give it a fresh look but still keep it in line with our country theme. The brick is currently a blackish reddish color with black/charcoal grout. We would like to give it an antique brick (white washed)look similar to the picture below . Has anyone tried this and can you give advise on how to achieve this look, i.e colors, techniques, etc. Thanks, Lisa
    Now:Name:  fireplace .jpg
Views: 18163
Size:  17.8 KB

Would Like:Name:  NewBrick.jpg
Views: 25937
Size:  16.1 KB
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 11, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcj29
    Hi All,
    Our fireplace is out dated and we want to give it a fresh look but still keep it in line with our country theme. The brick is currently a blackish reddish color with black/charcoal grout. We would like to give it an antique brick (white washed)look similar to the picture below . Has anyone tried this and can you give advise on how to achieve this look, i.e colors, techniques, etc. Thanks, Lisa
    Now:Name:  fireplace .jpg
Views: 18163
Size:  17.8 KB

Would Like:Name:  NewBrick.jpg
Views: 25937
Size:  16.1 KB
    Yes, Do a sample practice area using a sanded grout from the tile store. Trowl over a wetted surface thinnly, then using damp dish towel tamp down and lightly brush clean some highlighted brick areas. Do not paint but clear seal after it cures up and then wait to see how the sealer color dries. Nm
    ljcj29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Great! Thanks for this speedy answer. Looking forward to get started. I'll let you know how it comes out. ~L
    markevansgroup Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 02:16 AM

grout is only part of the equation. The look you say you want is brick that is both irregular, and differing in blotches of black and off white paint. You might work on colors first, then grout the brick leaving it a little higher than the existing grout. Be sure to clean the brick and grout first or it will fall out. Use customs grout which has a polymer admixture base to make it stick better. Be patient. It will take a bunch to time. Alternately, just have it redone. It doesn't cost that much and your time is worth something.
    good luck either way.
    mark
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 03:39 AM
    Mark... heads up. You keep replying to questions from back in 2006 and 2007. Check out the dates in the upper left corner of the threads so you can post to more recent questions...

Hate to see anyone waste time!

Good luck!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Brick Fireplace [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to paint the brick around our fireplace to update the look. I would like to know what products and methods of applying are available.

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get rid of an ugly brick fireplace in the easiest manner. Is it possible to just prime it and use venetian plaster paint... or use a quick crete or sand topping over the brick and then prime and paint that?

Paint fake brick fireplace? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! My house has a huge firesurround made of fake bricks - it dominates the room and the terracotta 'bricks' clash with my colour scheme. I hate it and want to paint it - can I and what paint should I use? ;)

Brick Walls [ 1 Answers ]

HELLO, I recently bought home that has brick foundation what type of mortar can I used so it could look good. Thank you

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I've been refinishing a fireplace/mantel, which has included stripping layers of paint off the brick fireplace. After months of chemical applications, most of the paint is off, but there are still some stubborn remnants that just aren't coming out - they seem to have soaked into the brick, and...

View more questions Search