Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbez357 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Bryant gas furnace - burners light, but go out in about 4 secs
    This is an older Bryant furnace, model 394GAW.

It has electronic ignition. Pilot lights fine and stays burning when thermostat
    Requesting heat. Burners ignite, but then only for about 4-5 secs, then go out. This
    Will repeat about every 30 secs or so. The blower never starts.

I found numerous posts on internet about replacing the 3 wire pilot/flame sensor, which I did, and it didn't make any difference.

I checked the circuit to the gas valve, and on the leads by the valve to the burners,
    It will read 0v and then 24v and the burners will ignite (assuming that this opens
    The gas valve to the burners) returns to 0v in about 1 sec and burners then go out.

Any suggestions?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
    To me it sounds like you have a weak main limit switch. I assume the flame goes out before the blower comes on. The 5 wire gas valve uses a pick and hold circuit and will show this symptom when it goes bad.

Oct 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
    T-Top,

Yes, the burners go out before the blower comes on. The pilot remains on though.

Is there a way to test or jumper the main limit switch? Is that the rectangular
    Shaped panel with two terminals on it in the heat exchanger box?

Thx
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2012, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tbez357 View Post
    T-Top,

Yes, the burners go out before the blower comes on. The pilot remains on though.

Is there a way to test or jumper the main limit switch? Is that the rectangular
    shaped panel with two terminals on it in the heat exchanger box?

Thx
    Yes that is your main limit. You can use a jumper wire to bypass it for testing only.

Oct 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top View Post
    Yes that is your main limit. You can use a jumper wire to bypass it for testing only.
    Bypassing mail limit didn't make a difference. Also, if main limit is bad, wouldn't pilot go out too when main trips? (it doesn't)
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
    If the gas valve is chattering when the main burners try to come on you may have a bad gas valve. The 5 wire gas valve with a 3 wire pilot burner is a hard system to trouble shoot even for the moste seasoned technicians..

Oct 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
    If the gas valve is chattering when the main burners try to come on you may have a bad gas valve. The 5 wire gas valve with a 3 wire pilot burner is a hard system to trouble shoot even for the moste seasoned technicians..
    T-Top,

I figured out the problem. I noticed the gas hot water tank burner didn't sound quite right when it kicked on, which made me think in a different direction. I called the gas company. The main gas flow/pressure was down. The valve at the meter was partially closed (I think it may have been stepped on by contractors when they replaced the shingles on roof), and the gas company blew-out the line. Furnace works like a charm now. Unfortunately I replaced the pilot unnecessarily, but it's working which is all that matters.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tbez357 View Post
    T-Top,

I figured out the problem. I noticed the gas hot water tank burner didn't sound quite right when it kicked on, which made me think in a different direction. I called the gas company. The main gas flow/pressure was down. The valve at the meter was partially closed (I think it may have been stepped on by contractors when they replaced the shingles on roof), and the gas company blew-out the line. Furnace works like a charm now. Unfortunately I replaced the pilot unnecessarily, but it's working which is all that matters.
    Glad you have heat now. That's the first thing a tech will check is in put and out put of gas pressure at the gas valve. Stay warm.

Oct 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
    Glad you have heat now. Thats the first thing a tech will check is in put and out put of gas pressure at the gas valve. Stay warm.
    The pilot burned strong, so I never gave it a thought. Interesting that I must have
    Found close to a dozen posts on problems similar to mine, and not one mention of
    Checking the gas pressure. I guess this could be the first one, and hopefully it will help somebody else. I won't forget it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Plus 80 gas furnace won't ignite burners [ 6 Answers ]

I own a Bryant Plus 80 gas furnace. The fan will run if I set the thermostat to "Fan On" instead of "Fan Auto". But the burners will not ignite. I have followed the user manual instructions to re-start the furnace, but that didn't work. I have a gas water heater and it is heating so I know the gas...

Older gas furnace with standing pilot light, new thermocouple Burners will NOT light [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am at the end of my rope. I have an older Armstrong Air (Honeywell) standing pilot furnace. The pilot light is a strong blue flame. The thermocouple is about 20 min old. (I just replaced it thinking that was the problem). The thermostat seems to be working properly. When I set it to...

York Furnace: Only one of four burners light [ 1 Answers ]

York (Model: P4HUA1ZN06401B) vertical natural gas furnace. Observed that the burner on right, by the glowing starter, starts properly but the other three burners do not light and since the thermocouple on the left does not start, the gas is stopped in about 5 tyo 10 seconds. I cleaned all four...

Burners on Gas Furnace won't light [ 0 Answers ]

All right, I'm at my wit's end and I could use some help... Last week my furnace started blowing cold air. The pilot lights fine, but the burners will not light. My ex-wife's boyfriend's friend came out and looked at it and suggested we replace the furnace, said the heat exchanger/combustion...

View more questions Search