Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Must open estate ?
    When someone dies here in the USA, are we required by law to open an estate for the deceased ? Can we save some money by not opening an estate if the deceased had absolutely nothing... no real estate, no money, no car.. nothing ? Why should someone be forced to open an estate under these circumstances ? Thanks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 17, 2012, 12:50 PM
    You don't have to file with the probate court if the deceased's state doesn't require it by law. What state?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 12:53 PM
    Here in Illinois, when my uncle died, he had virtually no money and was on public aid (having spent $250,000 on nursing homes). His lawyer declared his estate too small to go into probate, and all was quickly settled according to his will.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
    If the person had no assets to distribute or a will to process, then its not necessary. However, if the deceased had a lot of debt, it may be worthwhile to file so it can be shown there were no assets to pay his debts.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    ...if the deceased had a lot of debt, it may be worthwhile to file so it can be shown there were no assets to pay his debts.
    Shown to whom?

No, there is no reason to file. If a creditor seeks to recover from an estate, and there is no estate, what's he/she/it going to do? The answer is that there is nothing the creditor can do.

A next of kin, or person nominated as executor in a will, can not ever be required (by virtue of that status) to file a probate petition. And to do so would cost a considerable amount of money. There would be no point.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
    I stand corrected. I thought some states required it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
    I stand corrected. I thought some states required it.
    Well, I have not examined the probate laws of all 50 states, but how could they? Say you are the grandson of a person who died intestate. You have siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. How could a statute specify which of those has a duty to file a petition? How could it fine one of them for not filling? I can't imagine any rule that would work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open estate [ 2 Answers ]

How can I open my Dad's estate in Alabama when I live in Georgia? He did not leave a will.

Do I need to open a new estate account for Mom? [ 2 Answers ]

My father died 9/26/07 and my mother died 10/17/07. I opened up an estate account With bother of their names on the account. The IRS assigned me an EIN then recently Assigned me another EIN for my mother's estate. Do I need to open up another estate Account showing just my mother's name on it...

Leave estate open? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife's mother passed away in Dec. 06. All household property was distributed. The house sold in March 07. All the postings were made in the paper etc and all known claims have been settled since around the time the house sold. The money left over has not been distributed. The question: ...

View more questions Search