Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vannarea Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 10:58 PM
    Duck egg
    Do duck eggs change colors before hatching the egg is turnig a dark color but you can sill see baby inside I don't know if that's normal or what's wrong pease help
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 03:33 AM
    I hatched 8 of them in an incubator a few years ago, and I didn't notice them changing colour. You may see something inside, but it may not be alive, hence the dark colour.

So you are starting now with a duck egg, what happened to the chick ?

Oct 17, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I hatched 8 of them in an incubator a few years ago, and i didnt notice them changing colour. You may see something inside, but it may not be alive, hence the dark colour.

So you are starting now with a duck egg, what happened to the chick ?
    I got 4 little chicks healthy as could be and the duck egg. The chicks are two grey and 1 black and one red with white stripes. The duck egg has been moving everyonce in a while. It changes from dark to light though and I can't figure out why this is my first time hatching. I got my two hens and two roosters when they were like two weeks old. The same with my two ducks. Do you know if ducks will lay eggs ina box like chickens if its close to ground?
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vannarea View Post
    i got 4 little chicks healthy as could be and the duck egg. the chicks are two grey and 1 black and one red with white stripes. the duck egg has been moving everyonce in a while. it changes from dark to light though and i can't figure out why this is my first time hatching. i got my two hens and two roosters when they were like two weeks old. the same with my two ducks. do you know if ducks will lay eggs ina box like chickens if its close to ground?
    Ducks will not lay in a box. Are they Mallards, or domestic ducks? Either way they will not use a box.

Oct 17, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Ducks will not lay in a box. Are they Mallards, or domestic ducks? Either way they will not use a box.
    They are eather Ancona or Magpie they are black and white. They are agresive to my chickens but the female lays her eggs were the chickens lay there's so th chickens sit on them. They can't fly eather but that doesn't stop them from trying. They are scared of people to they have been like that since we baught them.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
    they are eather Ancona or Magpie they are black and white. they are agresive to my chickens but the female lays her eggs were the chickens lay theres so th chickens sit on them. they can't fly eather but that doesn't stop them from trying. they are scared of people to they have been like that since we baught them.
    I raised mallards, that over the years mated with domestic ducks. Had geese as well. Better get yourself an incubator.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 10:35 AM
    PS... my ducks did not mingle with chickens, nor did they lay eggs near them.

Oct 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
    I raised mallards, that over the years mated with domestic ducks. Had geese as well. Better get yourself an incubator.
    Do you know what is a good kind and cheaper
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
    do you know what is a good kind and cheaper
    No, my mallards were from wild stock, and they remained wild but always on and off my farm because I had a pond, breeding with other ducks in the neighbourhood.and producing a white and black duck, who were not good mothers as mallards were.

I don't know anything about domestic ducks, only geese.

Oct 17, 2012, 05:43 PM
    no, my mallards were from wild stock, and they remained wild but always on and off my farm because i had a pond, breeding with other ducks in the neighbourhood.and producing a white and black duck, who were not good mothers as mallards were.

I dont know anything about domestic ducks, only geese.
    O lol thanks for all your help

Oct 21, 2012, 07:49 PM
    o lol thanks for all your help
    Its hatching!! What do I do every time I touch it it starts moving I'm so excited I thought it was dead but its hatching it started to peck at shell has a very small hole in it
    Expert

Oct 22, 2012, 03:35 AM
    Then don't help it, let it do it on its own. That little duckling may not survive without other ducks around.

Oct 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Then dont help it, let it do it on its own. That little duckling may not survive without other ducks around.
    I have its mom and dad but they won't sit they laid the egg in my chickens nest but when the chicks hatched the hen stopped laying on the duck egg its pecking but not much the hole was leaking fluid but not now should I be worried. The hole wasn't any bigger than a pen point
    Expert

Oct 22, 2012, 08:42 AM
    I had ducks like that, a cross between a mallard and a domestic duck. Every time the mallards flew off for a few days, a month later I would get these odd coloured ducks flying to my farm. The white and black ducks were terrible moms. They would take the little ones off to the hay field to forage and come back with 2 out of eight (snakes get them).

Mallards are excellent parents.

I don't know about that hole, vannarea, the little think may not be alive; in any event, losing fluid from the egg would not be a good thing. It takes 28 days to hatch a tended duck egg; so how many days has it been?

That is why suggested trying to find an incubator.

Tick

Oct 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
    I had ducks like that, a cross between a mallard and a domestic duck. Everytime the mallards flew off for a few days, a month later I would get these odd coloured ducks flying to my farm. The white and black ducks were terrible moms. They would take the little ones off to the hay field to forage and come back with 2 out of eight (snakes get them).

Mallards are excellent parents.

I dont know about that hole, vannarea, the little think may not be alive; in any event, losing fluid from the egg would not be a good thing. It takes 28 days to hatch a tended duck egg; so how many days has it been?

That is why suggested trying to find an incubator.

tick
    The egg is about 26 to 27 days old I can hear it moving every once in a while the hole isn't leaking anymore I can't even tell where it was its very strange but it was leaking then just stopped iv'e been trying to find an incubator but I can't find one I can afford.
    Expert

Oct 22, 2012, 01:29 PM
    If the egg doesn't hatch in two days, then it isn't going to, and if it does (these little things fight to survive under surmountable odds!) it won't last long, sorry, but I think you are fighting a losing battle. Keep me posted.

You can actually make your own incubator, check Google, or I will when I get time.

Oct 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
    If the egg doesnt hatch in two days, then it isnt going to, and if it does (these little things fight to survive under surmountable odds!) it wont last long, sorry, but I think you are fighting a losing battle. Keep me posted.

You can actually make your own incubator, check google, or i will when i get time.
    Thanks I will o do you know anything about chicks to my four babies have fowl pox along with my two hens the stags vary with each bird do you have any idea how they get it .
    Expert

Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM
    Sorry, don't know anything about chickens, or chicks, I just ate their eggs and stewed them when they couldn't lay anymore :)

Oct 23, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Sorry, dont know anything about chickens, or chicks, i just ate their eggs and stewed them when they couldnt lay anymore :)
    Lol I don't think I could stew mine

Oct 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
    lol i dont think i could stew mine
    The duck egg was bad. I was fixn to open it to see if it was bad and as soon as I touch it the stupid thing exploded I think my heart stopped and restarted

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does a peephole on a duck egg look like [ 0 Answers ]

My one duck was sitting on eggs and something came and got her, so I took the eggs inside and put them in an incubator. I don't know how old the eggs are. I know there fertile because I shined a light on them and I see stuff in them. But I can't make out if there alive and how old they are. When I...

Duck can't walk [ 2 Answers ]

I have a duck that is about six months old. He is a male and I have another male so they may have got in a fight but, there is no blood or broked legs have cheeked him good. I found him stuck in the mud and could not walk. He is eating and drinking and pooping but can not walk. Could it be his...

What's a good duck to have [ 8 Answers ]

Just want some ppls opinion on which species of duck is better as a pet and why...

Whole Duck [ 6 Answers ]

Any tips or recipes on how to prepare duck. Thank you!

View more questions Search